PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Network Manager openvpn doesn't work on 16.04 Xenial Xerus

k-kristoferb
April 22nd, 2016, 10:28 AM
Hi,

Yesterday I installed the final Ubuntu 16.04 release and am now configuring it. I ran into an issue with openvpn that I have never seen before. Usually I configure openvpn using the network manager by installing the network-manager-openvpn package.

After installing it the VPN option should appear in the network manager VPN wizard but I can still only see PPTP VPN option there. I restarted network-manager and even rebooted my machine but I'm still stuck. Looking at logs I can't find anything openvpn-related after the apt install logs.

Any ideas on where to go next to troubleshoot this?
Thanks
Kris

sammiev
April 22nd, 2016, 02:19 PM
Hi,

Yesterday I installed the final Ubuntu 16.04 release and am now configuring it. I ran into an issue with openvpn that I have never seen before. Usually I configure openvpn using the network manager by installing the network-manager-openvpn package.

After installing it the VPN option should appear in the network manager VPN wizard but I can still only see PPTP VPN option there. I restarted network-manager and even rebooted my machine but I'm still stuck. Looking at logs I can't find anything openvpn-related after the apt install logs.

Any ideas on where to go next to troubleshoot this?
Thanks
Kris

Hi,

Is openvpn installed?

Works great here.

rich-looklively
April 22nd, 2016, 03:12 PM
Yes, I can confirm openvpn not working for me either.
I can import the vpn conf but it wont run.

Throws ;

"connection.gateway-ping-timeout: cannot set property:
value of "6619252" of type 'guint' is invalid or out of range
for property type 'gateway-ping-timeout' of type 'guint'
"

Using kubuntu.

k-kristoferb
April 22nd, 2016, 04:35 PM
Hi,

Is openvpn installed?

Works great here.

Yes, that was installed as a dependency and is working just fine. I'm running from terminal as a temporary workaround.

Related to rich-looklively's post I can't even import a VPN config as that option is also missing from the dropdown.

I'm attaching a screenshot for clarity...

https://tec.libertar.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/openvpn.png

sammiev
April 22nd, 2016, 04:53 PM
You need 3 files for openvpn, see attached.

k-kristoferb
April 22nd, 2016, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the tip, with that it works now after installing network-manager-openvpn-gnome!

Still find it strange that the package has a new dependency which is categorized as GNOME even though I'm running unity... Also, if that is indeed a dependency, why not specify as such so that it's automatically installed together? Wrong place for the question I know but just wanted to get that small rant out...

sammiev
April 22nd, 2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the tip, with that it works now after installing network-manager-openvpn-gnome!

Still find it strange that the package has a new dependency which is categorized as GNOME even though I'm running unity... Also, if that is indeed a dependency, why not specify as such so that it's automatically installed together? Wrong place for the question I know but just wanted to get that small rant out...

I have 6 flavors of 16.04 installed and all of them require those 3 selections.

Glad you have it solved and hope you mark this thread as solved to help the next person.

Thanks

Terry_Boldt
April 28th, 2016, 09:49 PM

How do I get to see the "attached". Having the same problem and installed "network-manager-openvpn-gnome', but problem persists, so I assume there still 2 other files that I need to download/install. But I don't know what they are.

The problem (for me at least) is only for a fresh install of 16.04. On 2 other machines I did upgrades from 15.10 and the problem doesn't surface with network-manager-openvpn-gnome not installed.

steve zissou
June 1st, 2016, 04:25 PM
Hey, what's the solution? I have the same problem and can't see the attachment.

Cheers

boweeb
June 9th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Attached? Where?

steve zissou
June 11th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Yes the attachment doesn't seem to be available. the solution is to install network-manager-openvpn-gnome.

MikeMecanic
June 11th, 2016, 05:06 PM
This is the command line I’m using after a fresh install. No need to reboot and VPN can be set immediately:

sudo apt install network-manager-openvpn-gnome

Mahmoud_Khateeb
June 14th, 2016, 10:36 AM

attached?

Yes the attachment doesn't seem to be available. the solution is to install network-manager-openvpn-gnome.
That worked. Thanks!

aguilla1
August 29th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I have a HP pavilion with ubuntu 11 on it. The internal antenna as well as a USB 8.11 port works to get WI FI connections. I installed lubuntu 16.04 and wi fi did not work at all. I installed 14.04 and the USB 8.11n was recognized, not the internal antenna. I will have to wait with installing 16.xx until the designers have fixed the problem.

willyjrobinson
August 12th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Thank you! This worked for me!

oldos2er
August 12th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Old thread closed.