PDA

View Full Version : How to Upgrade Graphic Drivers

Spencer_Thompson
April 22nd, 2016, 10:19 AM
Hello! I'm trying to run a game and ran into a graphical bug. I contacted the developer and he told me to upgrade my graphic drivers. How would I go about doing that? I am running Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS, OpenGL: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2, Intel Open Source Technology Center, Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Desktop. I only want to update it to the current working version for my graphics card, not a version that will break it. Thanks!

kc1di
April 22nd, 2016, 11:21 AM
Hello Spencer_Thompson and Welcome to Ubuntu,

if there is a newer driver it should be offered in the Additional Drivers tool found in the Software & Updates.

this page (https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/microcode) may also be of help.

sgian
April 22nd, 2016, 11:53 AM
Intel provides its drivers open source. There won't be any other graphics drivers to upgrade to manually. The developer probably just didn't want to deal with you, sorry to say. I can think of a couple options for you.

1. You could get a graphics card with better performance than your integrated graphics. Some prefer NVIDIA, others prefer AMD. If you plan on upgrading the OS to Ubuntu 16.04 soon, then for now the best choice is NVIDIA until the AMD drivers are ready for 16.04, perhaps in the summer of this year.

2. You could upgrade the OS to 16.04. I have found that Ubuntu 16.04 is significantly better at playing games for my computers with Intel or NVIDIA graphics. It also has the CPU microcode option in the Additional Drivers tool, unlike 14.04.