PDA

View Full Version : And a BIG THANK YOU for 16.04

vasa1
April 22nd, 2016, 04:59 AM
This is just to express our thanks to all the people who've done the heavy lifting to bring 16.04 to us!

Irihapeti
April 22nd, 2016, 05:01 AM
Totally agree!

Bucky Ball
April 22nd, 2016, 05:36 AM
Absolutely. Now it's our turn to do the heavy lifting helping people out with their 16.04 LTS bugs as most insist on installing immediately. Seen the New Posts list lately? '16.04' splattered everywhere ...

Nothing unusual at release time I guess ...

sudodus
April 22nd, 2016, 08:26 AM
I think the development period will last until 16.04.1 LTS will be released.

Some people are too eager to listen to the wise advice If it ain't broke, don't fix it (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/if-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it.html)

Other people never upgrade to a new release until there are serious problems because the repositories are closed.

Both groups need our help :-P

makitso
April 22nd, 2016, 12:37 PM
I have been using ubuntu since the 8.04. This release seems to be better than any other LTS that I have used in the past. Have 4 machines on xubuntu and they have been very solid for weeks now.

Northbankboy68
April 22nd, 2016, 02:31 PM
Well done on another thoroughly professional upgrade. I have upgraded each version incrementally since 10.04 I think and never hit a single problem. Fantastic effort! Thank you. Peter:KS

andyfied
April 22nd, 2016, 02:53 PM
Looking forward to installing this weekend! (Leaving 14.04 on there as well just in case... :) )

Rocky_Bennett
April 22nd, 2016, 09:44 PM
My hats are off to the developers.

poorguy
April 22nd, 2016, 11:11 PM
Some people are too eager to listen to the wise advice If it ain't broke, don't fix it (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/if-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it.html) :-P

I'm not one of those people.
I have an extra computer why not.

sammiev
April 22nd, 2016, 11:30 PM
I really enjoyed testing 16.04 and used it as my main OS from the start with little issues.

Portaro
April 24th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all developers, users and to our community .
Thanks.:popcorn:

yetimon_64
April 27th, 2016, 12:12 AM
Thanks for all developers, users and to our community .
Thanks.

+1, just downloaded the iso a couple of days ago and set it up for a grub2 "HDD" boot. Looking forward to installing and testing out 16.04 very soon. Thanks to all involved in getting the new release out.

Cheers, yeti. :)

light_yagami2
April 27th, 2016, 02:48 AM
Well done! Hopefully we can move the unity bar to the right in Ubuntu 16.10! :)

yetimon_64
April 27th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Just had my first chance to have a good look at the live iso boot desktop, still on the installer boot but seriously impressed; this is the smoothest live cd/dvd experience I've ever had with an ubuntu installer ever. Posting from the live boot now :-).

It is also the first time I've had the launcher on the bottom of the page since about 2010/2011. A massive thank you to whoever thought to bring that feature back, it is one I missed sorely after Natty ended. Love it that way, cheers from one very happy yeti :D. Now to get off the forum and into gparted and some installing work :P.

gameboy9309
April 29th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Yeah, thanks SO much for helping out with the new update! :D

xubu2
May 4th, 2016, 01:40 AM
A big thank you for the developers for improving the mini.iso.
Installed xubuntu lite (which installs xubuntu-core) and everything went smooth.

I have i few remarks tho.
Why does it install bluez, cups with all the printer drivers, a lot of fonts and imagemagick but not the update-manager and especially mousepad???
Thought that was for the default full installer (xubuntu-desktop).

But other than that no complaints so far and happy when i read alot of problems on the forums. :)

davehenson
May 4th, 2016, 05:22 AM
this really cannot be said enough. THANK YOU to all at Canonical/Ubuntu for your work on this. This release is quite impressive and very much appreciated.

help_me2
May 4th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Absolutely. Now it's our turn to do the heavy lifting helping people out with their 16.04 LTS bugs as most insist on installing immediately. Seen the New Posts list lately? '16.04' splattered everywhere ...

Nothing unusual at release time I guess ...

Very true. The more things change, the more they remain the same...... anyway, I'm real happy with 16.04 I'm using the Xubuntu variant. Fast and smooth as one could expect. An absolute pleasure to use.

wolfen69

izznogooood
May 5th, 2016, 12:18 AM
Like my signature says, I'm no stranger to Linux. What it does not say is I've had a 10 year break from Linux. 16.04 brought me back! Thank you all for your contribution.

help_me2
May 5th, 2016, 12:53 AM
Like my signature says, I'm no stranger to Linux. What it does not say is I've had a 10 year break from Linux. 16.04 brought me back! Thank you all for your contribution.

Glad you're back, I guess. But wife and kids have nothing to do with running linux. If you've been gone for 10 years, my guess is you'll be gone again......

wolfen69

Bucky Ball
May 5th, 2016, 07:56 AM
I'm real happy with 16.04 I'm using the Xubuntu variant. Fast and smooth as one could expect. An absolute pleasure to use.

Me too. I'm using Xubuntu-core. I see a lot of problems here with Ubuntu 16.04 which don't effect Xubuntu users, for various reasons, so I surmise we are getting a very different impression of the new release than the Ubuntu users.

I've installed Xubuntu-core on three machines and the installs have been a breeze (EFI and BIOS), and all have worked 'out of the box', one or two minor issues that were fixed in a couple of minutes here and there, and done.

Nathal
May 6th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Like it also THX!

exploder
May 11th, 2016, 06:16 PM
I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 running on two laptops and two desktops with no problems at all.:D

montag dp
May 11th, 2016, 08:30 PM
I don't mean to sound unthankful, but aren't we told that the developers don't read this site? So, just whom are we thanking? :confused:

vasa1
May 12th, 2016, 01:52 AM
The testers? Good try anyway.

montag dp
May 12th, 2016, 03:09 AM
I don't know what you mean by good try. I was curious since you are a mod and presumably know that the developers don't read this site (allegedly). I guess it makes sense if you were referring to testers.

izznogooood
May 12th, 2016, 08:38 PM
How can the developers stay clear of a resource like this? Hearsay perhaps.

montag dp
May 13th, 2016, 01:45 AM
Well, I didn't mean to kill all the gratitude. I will say that I am thankful for Ubuntu and its place in the Linux ecosystem as an OS that makes it fairly easy for newcomers to make the switch to Linux, and also as the base for a lot of other good distros. Of course, I'm sure 16.04 follows in that tradition, though I haven't used it myself.

Linuxratty
May 18th, 2016, 04:47 PM
I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 running on two laptops and two desktops with no problems at all.:D

I just slapped that puppy on here Sunday and it's great!
I still have Manjaro XFCE on my back up computer and it's excellent as well.