PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installation of packages via LSC

Milambar
April 22nd, 2016, 02:33 AM
So I returned to Ubuntu desktop after a long time away, and installed Lubuntu on my laptop.

Just trying to find my feet again, and I went to install a few programs. I found the lubuntu software center and even managed to locate the programs I wanted to install, but for the life of me cannot work out how to actually tell it to install them.

I have the programs selected, but there is no "install" button.

There is only an "information" button, and an "add to basket" button, and double clicking on the item does the same thing as the information button.

I am not clicking add to basket, because I have no intention of buying them, especially when I know that they used to be FOSS.

How do I actually get LSC to install them please?

BazBear
April 22nd, 2016, 07:22 AM
Add them to the Apps Basket, go to the Apps Basket, then click on the Add Packages button. That's just the way the LSC works, so don't worry, they're still FOSS.

Bucky Ball
April 22nd, 2016, 07:32 AM
I use Synaptic Package Manager myself (find in LSC). More straightforward, lightweight, powerful and flexible IMHO. Haven't used SC since very early on, even when I had it installed.

BazBear
April 22nd, 2016, 04:46 PM
I agree Bucky, and IIRC Synaptic PM is included in Lubuntu by default.

Milambar
April 23rd, 2016, 08:28 PM
Thank you, Synaptic is the one I used of old apparently. That and... if memory serves, "aptitude"?

ajgreeny
April 23rd, 2016, 10:15 PM
I use Synaptic Package Manager myself (find in LSC). More straightforward, lightweight, powerful and flexible IMHO. Haven't used SC since very early on, even when I had it installed.
+1 ^^^^^

It is the first package I add to any *ubuntu OS after installation.