PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 15.10 to 16.04 upgrade borked my installation

mfox
April 22nd, 2016, 12:41 AM
I don't know what happened; the upgrade was proceeding and all of a sudden I got a blank screen. When I rebooted and selected Ubuntu on grub, I got a bunch of text referring to the sda partition, which got repeated a few times. Never went any farther. I then prepared a live 16.04 (64 bit) usb and booted from that. No problems, but I couldn't repair the borked partition with the live usb. I tried the instructions provided here (http://www.webupd8.org/2014/01/how-to-fix-non-bootable-ubuntu-system.html), but it couldn't mount in /mnt anything but the root partition. Is there some other way I can proceed, or am I now stuck reinstalling from scratch? Incidentally, the computer is an Intel iMac, and I was running with a second monitor.

mfox
April 22nd, 2016, 07:49 PM
I lucked out. Turns out that with the 16.04 installer, there was an option to keep my documents and apps, and just upgrade the system. It worked, although it took me a few hours to fix certain apps that relate to virtual machines or wine. Worth trying if anything bad happens during your installation.