PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Synaptic

rosswmcgee
April 20th, 2016, 05:34 PM
If I were to install ubuntu mate 16.04, would unity still be available in synaptic?

vasa1
April 20th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Why not? I think you'd look for ubuntu-desktop.

PaulW2U
April 20th, 2016, 06:46 PM
If I were to install ubuntu mate 16.04, would unity still be available in synaptic?
The 16.04 repositories, which synaptic will display in their entirety, contain everything available to all of the Ubuntu flavours. Whether it is a good idea to install multiple desktop environments or not is another matter of course. ;)

deadflowr
April 20th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Every package within the Ubuntu ecosystem is available, no matter what flavor you install.

Ninja'd

grahammechanical
April 20th, 2016, 07:02 PM
If you were to install Ubuntu Mate you might find that you do not need to install Unity because the Ubuntu Mate developers have worked very hard to provide a large opportunity for customizing the Mate desktop. You will find that it is possible to run Ubuntu using the Compiz compositor just like in Ubuntu and that there are customisation options that will give you a Unity like user interface.

Regards

rosswmcgee
April 20th, 2016, 09:04 PM
OK thanks. So all flavors are available in Mate 16.04 lts. as they are in Unity 16.04 lts. I am thinking it may be easier to install unity from Mate than vice versa. I have always installed Unity first then

Mate, This takes some work installing PPA'S for mate.

Frogs Hair
April 21st, 2016, 08:32 PM
The ubuntu-mate-desktop is available from the repository with no need for a PPA.

rosswmcgee
April 22nd, 2016, 06:44 PM
I would have bet you were wrong. However I did a clean install of unity 16.04 lts,, installed Mate via synapticand voila! sure enough it offered me the option to log in to either desktop. Previously

I had to use PPA'S to get the machine to offer me the log in key. I presume the KDE option will work as well.

deadflowr
April 22nd, 2016, 06:52 PM
I would have bet you were wrong. However I did a clean install of unity 16.04 lts,, installed Mate via synapticand voila! sure enough it offered me the option to log in to either desktop. Previously

I had to use PPA'S to get the machine to offer me the log in key. I presume the KDE option will work as well.

You would have lost that bet.
As you now figured out.

What's the KDE option?
You mean the ability to install kde (presumable kde-plasma-desktop) as well?
If so, sure.