PDA

View Full Version : Oh What a Difference

pfeiffep
April 16th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I'm a happy Ubuntu adopter and have been since version 12.10. I stayed with the plan of new releases until 14.04 LTS and settled on the longer support time.
I've not totally switched from Windows 7 since some of my must have tasks don't have an acceptable [to me] Linux replacement.
Because I have experience with Windows since version 3.0 I never subscribed to the "sage advice" to periodically reinstall windows .....
I always kept my registry cleaned out and NEVER reinstalled until now. I spent about 3 hours diving through Windows 7 registry and I finally gave up and performed a factory fresh install.
The multiple windows updates and installing all the software required took about 8 hours. And I didn't have to restore data since I share data on an external drive accessible to Windows and Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is sooooooo much easier to maintain for me!

izznogooood
April 16th, 2016, 03:56 PM
If you dont have any dependency issues i would consider upgrading to windows 10. This IS faster and cleaner (i think). You would however need to take back control from Windows Update and install some privacy blockers (Or i strongly recommend that)
There is one big update (About 2GB) to win10 now but after this its pretty fast. (Dont shut down, save snapshots) .

Some tips:
http://techgage.com/article/taking-back-control-of-windows-10-updates/
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

I use ubuntu for my day to day computing and 80% of work, the rest i do in a win10 virtualbox. I do how ever keep a win10 installation on my harddrive.. (I NEVER use it ;) )
Ubuntu is on to something and I for one am very exited to see where their Phone/Tablet project end up!

pfeiffep
April 16th, 2016, 05:42 PM
If you dont have any dependency issues i would consider upgrading to windows 10. This IS faster and cleaner (i think). You would however need to take back control from Windows Update and install some privacy blockers (Or i strongly recommend that)
There is one big update (About 2GB) to win10 now but after this its pretty fast. (Dont shut down, save snapshots) .

Some tips:
http://techgage.com/article/taking-back-control-of-windows-10-updates/
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

I use ubuntu for my day to day computing and 80% of work, the rest i do in a win10 virtualbox. I do how ever keep a win10 installation on my harddrive.. (I NEVER use it ;) )
Ubuntu is on to something and I for one am very exited to see where their Phone/Tablet project end up!I have Windows 7 configured just as I like it -
I'm not certain exactly how to achieve (Dont shut down, save snapshots)
I have a multiple boot scenario...possibly I'll try virtual box and upgrade Win 7 from within just to test it. I don't have Windows 7 installation media as this computer came with a recovery partition.
Not certain the steps to recover my media from within a virtual environment - or even if it's possible.

poorguy
April 18th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Most people I know like Windows 10 and wouldn't ever leave that environment as that is what they are comfortable with using.

I still use my Windows XP computer (offline) as it has the engineering software I use and see no need for replacement.
I have a Windows 7 desktop for MS Flight Simulator X that I use only for that reason.
Always having to update it as I won't allow it to update on its own.

It has been awhile since I had to do a Windows install but I do remember the hours upon hours to finally complete it with everything that was needed for use.
Just installed Ubuntu 14.04 64bit on a friends computer total time with all software from repository 1.5 hours start to finish.

I use Ubuntu and other Linux distros and they all just seem to work and need very little maintenance.
I have Ubuntu set up on a desktop at work and when all the Windows computers are slowly crawling along mine is still running perfectly.
LibreOffice and MS Office for what I do work very well together.

I like Linux and my computer world is good because of Linux.