PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu-mate - desktop themes have one pixel thin border

VitasLoWang
April 14th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Somebody please explain to me, why ALL the built-in themes (except "Shiny") have this stupid 1pixel border? It is incredibly hard to resize a window. I would like to change the window appearance once in a while, but it seems I will not. io even downloaded some theme and it behaves the same. Somebody give me link to some themes with easily resizable windows please.
EDIT: strangely it does not apply to all windows. Those with appearing vertical scrollbar are OK, because I can grab the scrollbar and resize it. Also Google Chrome still has about 4pixels border it seems.
Ubuntu 14.04

vasa1
April 14th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Hang in there for a few more days and then install Ubuntu Mate 16.04. Lot's of improvements from what I read including a Mate-specific tweak tool that may make what you want to do much easier.

(I find Ubuntu Mate to have too many applications that I don't need. So I'll stay with my present set-up in 16.04 as well.)

Dennis N
April 14th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Corners are easier to grab if you are using the mouse.

Resize with Keys and Mouse:

The shortcut to resize is Alt+F8 (or: open window menu with Alt+Space or by clicking on window menu icon in title bar; then click on Resize, or press R)
The edge the resize cursor moves to can then be selected with the arrow keys. Then resize with mouse (arrow keys work too). You can use the arrow keys again to move cursor to another edge for further adjustments.

vasa1
April 15th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Most window managers allow you to set up "resize and snap to window edge" keybinds for the active window.

VitasLoWang
April 15th, 2016, 10:21 AM
"Corners are easier to grab if you are using the mouse. " What do you mean by that Dennis? Did I say I control it using something else? :-] OK the shortcuts are interesting, but I have a hard time learning new unnecessary things like that after 20years of working with computers without similar issues :)
vasa1 I wonder if there is such settings in Gnome or Mate. You can try to find it if you wish. Thanks in advance

bapoumba
April 15th, 2016, 10:47 AM
"..
vasa1 I wonder if there is such settings in Gnome or Mate. You can try to find it if you wish. Thanks in advance
Search terms in a search engine of your choice : window resize mate
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2282397
http://superuser.com/questions/1012464/mate-how-to-increase-window-resizing-area
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1391259

These are just a few I selected.

vasa1
April 15th, 2016, 10:48 AM
vasa1 I wonder if there is such settings in Gnome or Mate. You can try to find it if you wish. ...
Thanks for the offer but I'm happy with what I have. All the best to you but then with 20+ years I'm sure you'll manage.

Dennis N
April 15th, 2016, 01:38 PM
"Corners are easier to grab if you are using the mouse. " What do you mean by that Dennis?

Corners are easier to grab than an edge if you are using the mouse.

vasa1
April 15th, 2016, 02:44 PM
IIRC, Compiz had "love handles" that could be activated via CCSM. Is that still the case? UM (post 14.04?) offers Compiz.

Dennis N
April 15th, 2016, 03:41 PM
IIRC, Compiz had "love handles" that could be activated via CCSM. Is that still the case? UM (post 14.04?) offers Compiz.

I have Ubuntu MATE 14.04 installed using the Greybird theme, and even with the default Marco window manager, it has a nice "handle" area in the lower right that should make resizing easy for anyone. There is even a little wedge marker there. Just click anywhere around that marker and the cursor changes to the resize cursor. Several of the other pre-installed themes seem have that too. So there are a number of ways to get around the too-thin-border issue.

Yes Mr. Wimpress has Compiz installed and available in all the releases as far as I know (including U Mate 14.04).

vasa1
April 15th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I have Ubuntu MATE 14.04 installed using the Greybird theme, and even with the default Marco window manager, it has a nice "handle" area in the lower right that should make resizing easy for anyone. There is even a little wedge marker there. Just click anywhere around that marker and the cursor changes to the resize cursor. Several of the other pre-installed themes seem have that too. So there are a number of ways to get around the too-thin-border issue.

Yes Mr. Wimpress has Compiz installed and available in all the releases as far as I know (including U Mate 14.04).

I'm using the Greybird theme as well. As soon as I hover in the lower RHS of a window the cursor changes appearance. No need to click. I think the "always visible" wedge is the resize_grip.png and you can find it here: /usr/share/themes/Greybird/gtk-2.0/resize_grip.png
or here: /usr/share/themes/Greybird/gtk-3.0/assets/resize-grip.png.

Just for fun, I have the color of the png bright red instead of the default grey for gtk2 apps and maybe I'll go for yellow for gtk3 apps.

(The Numix theme which comes along with Greybird when one installs shimmer-themes doesn't seem to use the little wedge.)

Edit: BTW, I set most of my applications to be without decorations; so no borders at all.

vasa1
April 16th, 2016, 02:19 AM
Totally OT, but in response to a question on Compiz, someone said, "I have enough things that wobble in the mirror these days, thank you."