PDA

View Full Version : Apple WWDC 2006 keynote

PenguinMan
August 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Did anyone see the new Apple WWDC 2006 keynote video online at Apple's website? http://www.apple.com/

Mac OS X Leopard is going to blow Windows Vista out of the water IMO. It is amazing how much technology Microsoft is "stealing" from Apple with Vista. Shocking to say the least...

I am going to have to get me one of those new Mac Pro computers in the Spring of 2007 when Leopard is released. That thing will walk circles around the Power Mac G4 (dual-mirror drive) I have at home. :shock:

Dual Xeon, dual core goodness. Four cores in the Mac Pro! Woohoo!

mostwanted
August 8th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Hm, I must say, I don't really like how Apple in the past have tried to spin "open source" in their PR, but now they're at least open sourcing some more projects than just WebKit (which was derived from KHTML anyway...). I still don't believe they have all of the best intentions though, still feels like marketing@geeks to me.

The time machine is really cool, though a bit cheesy. I read that similar backends exists for both Windows and Linux, so let's see some apps make a good replica (minus the cheesyness of the interface). No shame in that :)

Apple copied Virtual Desktops which is a stable in Gnome and KDE and presented it as a major new feature in OSX 10.5. Nice to see they're taking pointers from the open source desktops too and are integrating this feature into their DE.

I always thought Obj-C looked cool and now it has built-in garbage collection in Obj-C 2.0 ;) too bad it's not usable anywhere else but Macs.

bjweeks
August 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Hm, I must say, I don't really like how Apple in the past have tried to spin "open source" in their PR, but now they're at least open sourcing some more projects than just WebKit (which was derived from KHTML anyway...). I still don't believe they have all of the best intentions though, still feels like marketing@geeks to me.

You have to remember that Apple is a public traded corporation thats goal is to make money not make the open source comunity happy.

mostwanted
August 8th, 2006, 01:32 PM
You have to remember that Apple is a public traded corporation thats goal is to make money not make the open source comunity happy.

So what? All is forgiven?

Apple is a vendor-lockin trap like most proprietary solutions, but they pretend not to be, which is not good karma in my book.

bjweeks
August 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM
So what? All is forgiven?

Apple is a vendor-lockin trap like most proprietary solutions, but they pretend not to be, which is not good karma in my book.

Well yes and no, with proprietary comes some "vendor-lockin", Apple uses it's pro apps for that.Open standards is what counts not open source, not everything needs to be open sourced.

%hMa@?b<C
August 8th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Although "Time Machine" looks prety cheezy, I think it actually looks pretty cool.

bruce89
August 8th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Although "Time Machine" looks prety cheezy, I think it actually looks pretty cool.

Surely it should be called iTime?

mostwanted
August 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Well yes and no, with proprietary comes some "vendor-lockin", Apple uses it's pro apps for that.Open standards is what counts not open source, not everything needs to be open sourced.

Apple hardly uses open formats either. They don't support any open formats in their iLife applications (well, d'uh JPEG...), they use proprietary database formats for their apps and they use proprietary document formats in their iWork applications. Pretty much the only open formats Apple support are HTML and vCal =/

Now they've released some backends for less than a handful of apps in GPL-incompatible licenses, what's that besides a PR spin?

Brunellus
August 8th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I'm going to have to agree with mostwanted on this. Apple have been trading on "open" since the release of OSX, whereas they have remained as closed as ever. Apple are the kings of vendor lock-in, especially where their hardware was concerned.

It feels funny to say this, but there was a time I was actively supporting Microsoft and Intel over Apple, precisely because of Microsoft and Intel's "openness" in allowing third-party development.

bsalt
August 11th, 2006, 04:24 AM
dude, the greatest thing to ever come to the operating system world is their new Time Machine feature. i love it. i think if ubuntu ever wants ideas, just look at the best - OS X

professor_chaos
August 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM
dude, the greatest thing to ever come to the operating system world is their new Time Machine feature. i love it. i think if ubuntu ever wants ideas, just look at the best - OS X

"The greatest thing to ever come to the operating system world". Bsalt, you just made my day with the funniest thing I have heard all week. Thxs for the great comedy, you and trolls like you help bring such comedy relief to the less than par OS that we call linux.;)

Kobalt
August 11th, 2006, 09:02 AM
To me it's clearly Apple getting its ideas from Linux, and not the other way around. Just look at the change of Desktop effect : it's a total copy of XGL/Compiz... And also, I don't think the Time Machine is going to be the most used feature. It's kind of a toy I think.

PenguinMan
August 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM
...the greatest thing to ever come to the operating system world is their new Time Machine feature. i love it. i think if ubuntu ever wants ideas, just look at the best - OS X
As much as I love using Linux, I still think Mac OS X has every operating system beat for user friendliness. I watched the WWDC 2006 keynote, and I must say that I am really impressed with what is coming with Mac OS X Leopard. The "Time Machine" feature is one thing I wish I would have had three years ago when I lost a bunch of data that I was never able to retrieve.

I have been seriously looking at the Mac Pro computer because I still use the Macintosh a lot. I have a dual G4 Power Mac (mirror drive) and it has been running perfectly for me ever since I bought it - a testament to the quality of Apple's hardware. I like the Mac Pro because I would be able to install four 750 GB or 1 TB HDs (in the latter part of this year) and up to 16 GB of RAM. Imagine 4 TBs of HD storage - WOW! Coupled with the optional ATI Radeon X1900 XT (512MB) video card and the two 3.0 GHz Intel Xeon dual core processors, this computer would run circles around anything I own for Mac OS X and Windows XP Professional. I am starting to save up for one in January 2007, when I expect Apple to update the Mac Pro and include Mac OS X Leopard on it. I have $1000 right now, but I will need another $2700 to get the top end model. :)

With Parallels virtualisation software, I could also run the three Linux distributions that I regularly use: Linspire, PCLinuxOS, and Ubuntu. COOL! It would be quite fast too, considering you would be running Parallels on two Intel Xeon dual core processors.