PDA

View Full Version : desktop vs. laptop

joel93442
April 13th, 2016, 05:51 PM
I want to install ubuntu on my ASUS laptop. Do I use the same disc I have for my desktop. I seem to remember in the old days there was a different version for laptops.:confused:

RobGoss
April 13th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Hello and welcome, it should not matter as long as the disk is a copy of the ISO it will work on both

There is no special disk for laptops or desktops,

grahammechanical
April 13th, 2016, 07:18 PM
How old is that laptop? If the CPU is 64 bit then it will make no difference. If the CPU is 32 bit then you will need a 32 bit OS and that will have to be Lubuntu as we no longer have 32 bit versions of Ubuntu.

When thinking of the old days are you thinking of Ubuntu Netbook Remix? That no longer exists and its user interface has been under going continual development & is now the default UI on Ubuntu.

Regards.

RobGoss
April 13th, 2016, 07:23 PM
I was under impression he was asking about installing Ubuntu from a disc on a laptop or desktop

And as long as you have the right version of Ubuntu you should be good to go / 32 or 64 bit

mörgæs
April 13th, 2016, 10:45 PM
as we no longer have 32 bit versions of Ubuntu.

Please don't spread nonsense like that. We have 32 bit Ubuntu, the only limitation is that Chrome is not available.

RobGoss
April 13th, 2016, 10:57 PM
Please don't spread nonsense like that. We have 32 bit Ubuntu, the only limitation is that Chrome is not available.

This is correct I believe it's the 32-bit Chrome that is no longer supported for Linux

joel93442
April 14th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys. I was indeed thinking of the old notebook remix. Many years ago. That was the last non-desktop I had was an old acer notebook.