PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lubuntu server vs ubuntu server for openbox desktop

PeterTaps
April 11th, 2016, 04:06 AM
I have build many Ubuntu machines. My standard configuration would be:

1. Install ubuntu-server and login
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install xorg openbox
$ startx

This has always given me a very lean desktop environment and works amazingly well.

From what I have read, lubuntu server is ever leaner. I am thinking I will install lubuntu-server instead of ubuntu-server. Rest of the steps I guess can stay the same.

Q1, Will my approach work? Is there anything I am missing?
Q2. Is lubuntu-server really leaner than ubuntu server?

Regards,
Peter

Ricardo_Parraga_Za
April 11th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Hi Peter,

Good question. I believe they should be the same for server, but not for desktop. You can try your same drill and install the lubuntu server and then check:

How many packages are installed

dpkg -l | wc -l
How much hard drive space is being used

df
How are the processes running

How much memory is being used

free

Meybe you have an idea now and you can compare for yourself.

deadflowr
April 11th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Lubuntu-server?

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing.

If there was, by definition it would have to be fatter, as it would contain the lxde desktop packages.
Ubuntu server does not contain any desktop packages, by default.

Where can you find Lubuntu server?

papibe
April 11th, 2016, 05:19 AM
Hi PeterTaps.

AFAIN, there's no lubuntu-server. Lubuntu is desktop distribution. It is indeed lean, but compared to other desktop distributions.

Lubuntu includes lots of pre selected desktop applications, not necessarily thought for a server. Nevertheless, you may want to try LXDE, Lubuntu's desktop. So instead of installing openbox you could do:

sudo apt-get install lxde
Note that you can install both, and choose either openbox or lxde at log in.

More info here (http://askubuntu.com/questions/193861/what-is-the-difference-between-lubuntu-and-lxde), here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu), and here (http://askubuntu.com/questions/543829/how-to-disable-lxde-and-use-openbox).

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
Regards.

PeterTaps
April 11th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Thank you all for your help.

Looks like I was mistaken. There is no lubuntu server. There is only ubuntu server.

Looks like lxde is may be what I was looking for.

Previously, I used to install xorg and openbox. Just installing openbox with xorg would not work.

$ sudo apt-get install xorg openbox

If I have to install lxde on top of Ubuntu server, do I need to explicitly install xorg?

$ sudo apt-get install xorg lxde

Or, just installing lxde is good enough?

$ sudo apt-get install lxde

Also, if I install lxde, is it assumed that openbox is automatically getting installed?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Peter

papibe
April 11th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Installing lxde should be enough, as it will pull all other dependencies.

Now, you could even try to go even leaner (haven't tried myself) and install this instead:

sudo apt-get install lxde-core
Regards.

The_Woodpecker
April 11th, 2016, 10:23 PM
There is no such thing as Lubuntu-server although Lubuntu does make a good quick 'server' OS especially if you need a GUI for applications. Ubuntu is abit to heavy GUI-wise for a server unless you use the server version but then you need to install the GUI

PeterTaps
April 14th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Thank you for your help. I will try this out.