PDA

View Full Version : Doin' Taxes on Win7; Where're My Aspirin?

buzzingrobot
April 8th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Borrowed a Win7 laptop this morning to do my federal and state taxes. (It's that time in the U.S.)

Now I have two headaches. :P

QDR06VV9
April 8th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Thanks for my afternoon smile..:)

rewyllys
April 9th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Just finished working my way through the income-tax forms today, using Windows 10 in VirtualBox.

Went well, but what a nuisance!

buzzingrobot
April 9th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Just finished working my way through the income-tax forms today, using Windows 10 in VirtualBox.

Went well, but what a nuisance!

Yeah, it is. My federal taxes are simple enough that I think I could do them online in any OS. But, my state taxes can't be done online and are a hassle to do manually. So, I buy Turbo Tax and take the easy way. Last year I used an Android tablet,

The Windows headache is from the font rendering.

lisati
April 9th, 2016, 12:38 PM
My yearly tax paperwork is usually fairly straightforward: normally it's a matter of waiting for a handful of receipts from organizations I've donated money to, fill in two or three boxes on a form, sign and date, attach receipts and post it off. The rest of the details that the tax man might want are normally submitted to the tax folks by the people who pay me.

SantaFe
April 9th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Why Aren't there any cheat codes in the IRS? ;)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 9th, 2016, 09:52 PM
but did you try unlimited or infinite money?

coldraven
April 10th, 2016, 11:58 AM
In the UK you can do your tax online in a browser. It works fairly well and has improved in the last five years but it still has one very annoying feature. if you want to add extra information there is a lovely big text box for you. After you've typed a hundred words you might try to save it and then realise that just above the text box is a list of characters that you are forbidden to use,.
One of them is carriage return! <$expletive>
So being a bit of a computer whizz you copy all the text into an editor,remove all the hidden characters and paste it back into the emptied text box. You'll then find that it still will not accept your essay and you give up trying :(
So each year I type nothing into that box and move on to the next section of the assessment. Maybe it's deliberately designed like that so they don't have to read it.