PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 14.04 LTS on HP DV6000 not shutting down

DynamixLinux
April 8th, 2016, 06:19 PM
I wiped Windows XP out and installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Since it is a 32-bit m/c, I installed 32-bit version.

During installation, there was check-box asking me if I need to encrypt my Home (?) folder (if I remember correctly) and I clicked yes. I wonder if this had anything to do with this. Now during bootup, I do get a message that some folder related to cypto is not mounted.

The problem is during shutdown, I come out of the desktop into the final Ubuntu screen, with the scrolling dots and stay there and doesn't physically power-off the computer. I have to manually shut it down.

I have tried the following WITHOUT success

using the command "sudo shutdown now -h"

and also modifying the GRUB file to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off"

Also tried other options like ------ acpi = off , acpi = force, reboot = bios,

Any thoughts ??

slickymaster
April 8th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Moved to the Installation & Upgrades sub-forum

RobGoss
April 8th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Hello and welcome, if encryption is something you needed I would say it was a good choice but if you don't need it or don't really understand what it is I would said you can leave it unchecked.

I my self never use this option so I can't really say if this is causing your shut down problem I would think not.

If this is a new installation I would just say do another fresh install and this time leave the encrypt unchecked and see how it goes.

Maybe someone else might have other thoughts on this

lukeiamyourfather
April 8th, 2016, 06:58 PM
I'd look at log files to see what it's getting stuck on (/var/log/messages). Likely unrelated to your issue but you can run 64-bit software on that machine, no need to use the 32-bit version of Ubuntu. The Core 2 series processors used in that machine are all 64-bit capable even if it came with 32-bit software originally.

DynamixLinux
April 12th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I'll look at the /var/log/messages. What am I expecting to see here ? Does this file get appended or deleted for every shutdown ?

I did a clean install on Ubuntu and this time I removed the crypto option and still the problem persists.

I did a 32-bit update because I have limited RAM, 2GB. That's the max this model can support. So I'm not sure if this is the max RAM, it can support if it can do 64-bit addressing.

lukeiamyourfather
April 13th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I did a 32-bit update because I have limited RAM, 2GB. That's the max this model can support. So I'm not sure if this is the max RAM, it can support if it can do 64-bit addressing.

I wouldn't bother with the 32-bit version of Ubuntu. Your processor is 64-bit, that's all that matters. I'm not saying it will fix the issue but I'd try it.