PDA

View Full Version : Script requests?

ATSC
April 1st, 2016, 06:09 PM
Hey,

I hope this topic fits in here.

Every once in while I am tempted to use software where the only way to use it is by command-line. Sadly, using the syntax is often a steep, time-consuming path that is prone for frustration. From the discussions that I had with some developers, a GUI is often a) too much to ask for b) "not the scope of the project" or c) "not their philosophy". However, writing a script that can be used within a file-manager (e.g. nautilus-scripts) seem to be something that one can ask many devs and other users (even those with comparably limited dev-skills). I think that even this limited functionality would help me and other users quite a lot!
Is there a way or a place where such requests can be made (and hopefully be fulfilled)? Perhaps here in the forums? Or elsewhere?

Any help is much appreciated! :)

nothingspecial
April 1st, 2016, 06:48 PM
Well, nautilus scripts is just a utility that runs a bash script (or other language) on a file or directory that you right-click on in nautilus which is now called files (not used this for years btw, don't even know if it still works). So you can ask for help with that here or any other place you might get help with scripting.

ian-weisser
April 1st, 2016, 07:11 PM
The ability of explain to the machine exactly what you want in a language it understands...like a basic scripting language...is one of the easiest ways to unlock your system's tremendous potential.

Like any language or skill, you must learn it first.