PDA

View Full Version : Does Ubuntu Sell Soda?

utnubu4
March 30th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Hey guys,

Well, i was browsing the Internet looking for general ubuntu stuff and came across this....

X-RED_Tech
March 31st, 2016, 08:26 AM
The word "ubuntu" existed some 7.000 years before the Ubuntu OS and isn't (and cannot be) copyrighted. Not everything that says "ubuntu" is software related.
I suppose you know how to search the internet (googling, etc.), don't you? You would have quickly learned this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Cola

utnubu4
March 31st, 2016, 05:35 PM
I did not have knowledge that the word "ubuntu" could not be copyrighted. Yeas that is correct, i could have simply googled it and discovered the answer i was looking for.

To be honest, i am new to the forum and thought this might stimulate a little discussion.

Thank you for the information anyway :)

QIII
March 31st, 2016, 05:55 PM
Ubuntu doesn't sell anything. Ubuntu, the Linux-based operating system, is distributed by Canonical, Ltd.

Canonical does own a Trademark on the word "Ubuntu". But trademarks are limited in scope. If you wanted to create a new line of garlic flavored toothpaste, you could call it Ubuntu.

Canonical's graphics, on the other hand, are trademarked AND copyrighted. So you can't put the "Circle of friends" on your tube of toothpaste.

1clue
March 31st, 2016, 06:45 PM
Ubuntu doesn't sell anything. Ubuntu, the Linux-based operating system, is distributed by Canonical, Ltd.

But Canonical sells things, including things that are listed on the Ubuntu.com website.

QIII
March 31st, 2016, 06:53 PM
Yes. Canonical does.

I'm pointing out the difference between the product, Ubuntu, and the company, Canonical, Ltd. Many people conflate the two.

1clue
March 31st, 2016, 07:08 PM
@QIII,

I know you know that, and I know what you were saying. I thought it was not clearly stated that Ubuntu is associated with for-profit business. Given the post counts of some of the people on this thread I figured it would be best to get that out on the table.

@everyone else,

Canonical is a for-profit commercial interest which sells goods and services, some of which have direct interaction with Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu Linux is Free Software, but is controlled by Canonical for their commercial (for-profit) interests.

There is a lot of misinformation floating around on this forum and other Linux forums about Free Software vs commercial interests, and an incorrect assumption that the two cannot mix.

We're getting pretty off topic here, if somebody wants to talk about it then please start a thread and I'll hop on.

utnubu4
March 31st, 2016, 07:51 PM
Thank you guys i have learned a lot here about the word ubuntu and Canonical, I actually did not know anything about Canonical but now I do.. awesome!!

grahammechanical
April 1st, 2016, 04:08 AM
Wrong question.

Does Canonical sell soda? No. Does Canonical sell Ubuntu? No. But we can buy a service contract with Canonical & its employees will drink all the soda that you supply. Post & packaging at your expense.

Check the date, people.

yetimon_64
April 1st, 2016, 04:32 AM
... a new line of garlic flavored toothpaste, you could call it Ubuntu ...

=P~ ... Yumm ! I'd buy that. Don't know how much "humanity to others" that would create, probably be more regarded as "inhumane" to those around me after using it. I just love the smell and taste of garlic though :).

grahammechanical
April 3rd, 2016, 05:32 PM
Applying the definition of fellow-feeling I hope that the word "Ubuntu" does sell Cola. It is a fair trade product and hopefully the Fair Trade concept will prove to be of genuine benefit to those who need such a concept the most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Cola

bashiergui
April 3rd, 2016, 10:20 PM
If you wanted to create a new line of garlic flavored toothpaste, you could call it UbuntuFinally a cure to repel all those pesky "friends" and "loved ones." Where do I send the bitcoin? TAEK MAH MONEYS!!!

utnubu4
April 4th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Applying the definition of fellow-feeling I hope that the word "Ubuntu" does sell Cola. It is a fair trade product and hopefully the Fair Trade concept will prove to be of genuine benefit to those who need such a concept the most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Cola

Very well said :)

RobGoss
April 6th, 2016, 10:14 AM
This is the first time I'm hearing this didn't they did