PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't anyone make polls?

bashiergui
March 29th, 2016, 04:27 AM
Twitter added polls recently to their platform. But Ubuntu Forums had polls long before they were cool. Why aren't they getting used?

user1397
March 29th, 2016, 05:11 AM
I definitely have noticed a stark decrease in poll usage here. Not sure why, probably just less active than before?

sammiev
March 29th, 2016, 05:28 AM
Polls are pointless.

Irihapeti
March 29th, 2016, 05:30 AM
At one time, it seemed that polls were started almost every five minutes (OK, I exaggerate a bit.)

Perhaps people just got sick of them.

CharlesA
March 29th, 2016, 05:32 AM
Polls are pointless.

This. So much this.

ajgreeny
March 29th, 2016, 11:08 AM
This. So much this.

And again.

Totally pointless!

buzzingrobot
March 29th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Online polls amount to standing on a street corner and shouting, "Hey! What do you think?" Totally random, Totally unvalidated. Totally meaningless.

For Twitter and elsewhere, they're basically gimmicks.

SantaFe
March 29th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Maybe because people were getting tired of the "My pole is bigger than yours" arguments? :D

retr02
March 29th, 2016, 01:33 PM
too many options. polls are easy to ******** on and usually don't give an honest opinion.

Bucky Ball
March 29th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Polls are pointless.

This. So much this.

And again.

Totally pointless!

Online polls amount to standing on a street corner and shouting, "Hey! What do you think?" Totally random, Totally unvalidated. Totally meaningless.

That pretty much wraps it up. They're not worth the digits they're written with, so '42'. You actually expect to achieve anything vaguely meaningful with those choices and a poll on a software support forum?

yetimon_64
March 29th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Pointless as noted above (and the word "poll" sounds weird, "poll poll poll poll" :P)

Habitual
March 29th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Lies, damn lies, and polls!

PaulW2U
March 29th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Polls are pointless.
Agreed. And the results only reflect the opinions of those that bother to answer the poll.

Which reminds me. Have I voted yet? :D

exploder
March 29th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Polls are almost always about the same subjects too. Favorite DE, browser, music player, etc.

Frogs Hair
March 29th, 2016, 05:31 PM
"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.”

Habitual
March 29th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Polls are almost always about the same subjects too. Favorite DE, browser, music player, etc.

Hey you.
Rhymes with 'troll'?

lisati
March 29th, 2016, 07:17 PM
What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

QDR06VV9
March 29th, 2016, 07:22 PM
What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

Is this a trick question? :DI'll bite... 54
Or it could be nine, nine, nine, nine, nine, nine.:P

deadflowr
March 29th, 2016, 09:17 PM
I picked Jackie Robinson

him610
March 29th, 2016, 11:53 PM
The pollster could modify the poll to ask about primary, secondary, and tertiary operating system flavor. Then it might even be three times as pointless. ;)

grahammechanical
March 30th, 2016, 12:04 AM
"Poll" came into Middle English from Low German and it means head or pate. Not the French paté. Which is something completely different. Nice to eat but not nice if it is patted on your poll.

Now, you know how I voted. :)

QIII
March 30th, 2016, 12:24 AM
I think I'd translate poll into modern German asdie Umfrage, which doesn't sound like nasty goose liver paste or someone's head.

QDR06VV9
March 30th, 2016, 12:25 AM
"Poll" came into Middle English from Low German and it means head or pate. Not the French paté. Which is something completely different. Nice to eat but not nice if it is patted on your poll.

Now, you know how I voted. :)
OMG I am trying very hard to not fall out of my chair, laughing so hard can't catch my breath..just love your sense of humour:D
Thanks grahammechanical i needed that.

oldos2er
March 30th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Never cared much about online polls, mainly because the answer I would've given is not a choice.

"The Beatles."

Irihapeti
March 30th, 2016, 03:59 AM
It looks like the answer is 42.

Give me that many cakes or cookies and I'm happy. :)

bashiergui
March 30th, 2016, 04:41 AM
That pretty much wraps it up. They're not worth the digits they're written with, so '42'. You actually expect to achieve anything vaguely meaningful with those choices and a poll on a software support forum?
42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything. It's always the right answer! And yes, the cafe is where I go for all my meaningful achievements ;-P

grahammechanical
March 30th, 2016, 02:43 PM
OMG I am trying very hard to not fall out of my chair, laughing so hard can't catch my breath..just love your sense of humour

I tip my hat to the master, Douglas Adams.

In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the Galaxy, the Hitchhiker’s Guide has already supplanted the great Encyclopaedia Galactica as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects. First, it is slightly cheaper; and second, it has the words "DON'T PANIC" inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover.

QDR06VV9
March 30th, 2016, 05:25 PM
I tip my hat to the master, Douglas Adams.
+1:)