PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Come Up With Your Username?

portalhavoc
March 25th, 2016, 05:32 AM
How did I come up with my username? Portal was one of my favorite video games at the time. (It still is.) and Havoc is one of my internet nicknames.

So, How did you come up with your username on the Ubuntu Forums?

QIII
March 25th, 2016, 05:40 AM
It was the last variation of a user name on a political forum I kept getting kicked off of and immediately getting back on before they figured out how to perma-ban me. Which they really weren't able to do. I just got bored.

Irihapeti
March 25th, 2016, 05:45 AM
It was the last variation of a user name on a political forum I kept getting kicked off of and immediately getting back on before they figured out how to perma-ban me. Which they really weren't able to do. I just got bored.

Is this indicative of the calibre of moderator we have on ubuntuforums? I'm dismayed.

Oh, wait... They were stupid enough to choose me. I'm even more dismayed.

CharlesA
March 25th, 2016, 05:46 AM
My user name is.. self explanatory

Is this indicative of the calibre of moderator we have on ubuntuforums? I'm dismayed.

Wait, what? I need to complain about their selection process...

Irihapeti
March 25th, 2016, 05:51 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention... my username is the Māori version of my middle name. I wanted to use my first name, but it was already taken, so...

QIII
March 25th, 2016, 05:52 AM
I kept getting kicked off because both sides complained about me always pointing out logical fallacies and asking people if they ever listened to themselves and their illogical answers.

That and pointing out historical fact when fiction was thrown around.

Bucky Ball
March 25th, 2016, 05:58 AM

Like Groucho Marx said, I'd never join any club that would have me as a member! :D

My username is the nickname of a spherical fullerene molecule with the formula C60 (a buckminsterfullerene (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene)) and named after the fabulous and amazing Buckminster Fuller.

yetimon_64
March 25th, 2016, 09:48 AM

...Wait, what? I need to complain about their selection process...

ROTFL ... =d>

Me, I am a "rarely seen hairy critter" in real life. So much so a previous boss after interviewing me commented to the other workers he had just seen a "yeti"; and that nickname stuck with me for the last 25 years or so. Oh, and I also love cold climates/weather :P.

echotech2
March 25th, 2016, 10:09 AM
30 years in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) as a Radar Technician on long-range radars. Radar works by picking up the "echo" from an aircraft. The "2" on the end is due to a previous mucked up sign-up attempt.

lisati
March 25th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Mine is a misheard transliteration of my real name (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard) into Samoan.

Habitual
March 25th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I used to be a Hopeless Dope Fiend.
Now I am a Dopeless Hope Fiend.
Still addicted to everything.

and who is really going to believe my Name is John Jones?

oldos2er
March 25th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I used to use OS/2, ran it as my home OS for 12 years. Absolutely loved its object oriented Workplace Shell. Miss it greatly to this day.

rewyllys
March 25th, 2016, 04:20 PM
I used to use OS/2, ran it as my home OS for 12 years. Absolutely loved its object oriented Workplace Shell. Miss it greatly to this day.
I used only OS/2 from 1994 till about 2001.

Loved it.

PaulW2U
March 25th, 2016, 04:32 PM
So, How did you come up with your username on the Ubuntu Forums?
Paul is my first name,
W is the first letter of my surname,
2 was added by an automated process on a forum on which I was very active in my spam fighting days.
U stands for Ubuntu. What else?. :D

QDR06VV9
March 25th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Mine is also self explanatory...my name plus the love to run...when I was younger my father used to call me the ruckus kid...go figure:)

and who is really going to believe my Name is John Jones?
Well me for one;)...I must also be a Dopeless Hope Fiend
Cheers

SantaFe
March 25th, 2016, 04:45 PM
In my case, I love model railroading, the Santa Fe railroad, and computers. Hence both my user name & avatar. And no, the closest I've come to Santa Fe, NM is Gallup. ;)

grahammechanical
March 25th, 2016, 04:55 PM
I struggled to come up with a suitable user name. And then I was fitted with a mechanical heart valve. I now wish that I had had the sense to shorten it to greymech or graymech. Gray is a shortened form of Graham and grey is often my prevailing mood.

Regards

deadflowr
March 25th, 2016, 05:14 PM
It's a reflection of the fact that I'm a black thumb.

QDR06VV9
March 25th, 2016, 05:32 PM
It's a reflection of the fact that I'm a black thumb.

We will have to Agree to Disagree here I see you as bringing Life to these parts..:o
And while I'm here Many Thanks to you for your very clear and informative threads :popcorn:

PaulW2U
March 25th, 2016, 05:52 PM
I struggled to come up with a suitable user name. And then I was fitted with a mechanical heart valve.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Your username suggests that you are posting as a Mechanical Engineer with oodles of professional qualifications. :)

mikodo
March 25th, 2016, 07:44 PM
In my case, I love model railroading, the Santa Fe railroad, and computers. Hence both my user name & avatar. And no, the closest I've come to Santa Fe, NM is Gallup.
A true "hacker", in the purest sense of the word.:)

My moniker, is just the beginning of my first and last names. I think most get that, though I had one person respond to a thread question here in Japanese and English. So, I dunno.

Rocky_Bennett
March 25th, 2016, 10:45 PM
My Mom and Dad gave it to me the day I was born.

Rocky_Bennett
March 26th, 2016, 12:07 AM
In my case, I love model railroading, the Santa Fe railroad, and computers. Hence both my user name & avatar. And no, the closest I've come to Santa Fe, NM is Gallup. ;)

I live in a little town called Belen, NM and I live right by the BNSF railway station. My Grandkids love watching the trains coming and going from the view in my backyard. ):P

Shobuz99
March 26th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Originally, in the late 1980's, I used Bulletin Board Services with a password "Shobiz" to login to multiple BBS's.
Back then that was perfectly acceptable....until 14 yr olds discovered that passwords could be hacked...even in 1989!
"Shobiz" originated from my show business background. I've been a Rock & Roll and R&B singer since 1964,
and ultimately ended up as lead singer for The Human Beinz (revival) in 2005.
At some point Shobuz became the default as a tongue-in-cheek commentary on TV shows like the dreaded "Entertainment Tonight" (which I dislike)....
The 99 represents the year I used it first for an email address name.

Shobuz99

SantaFe
March 26th, 2016, 06:46 AM
I live in a little town called Belen, NM and I live right by the BNSF railway station. My Grandkids love watching the trains coming and going from the view in my backyard. ):P
I remember seeing the first BNSF engine after the merger. I thought Yuck as I was used to the Red/Silver or blue/Gold ones. But it grew on me.

utnubu4
March 30th, 2016, 07:52 PM
I reversed 'ubuntu' and the forum stuck a 4 on the end.. i guess that it was already taken.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 30th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Before there were cell phones and internet, we used Citizen Band (CB) Radio to chat in the small town were I lived. I was know as Grey Wolf on the CB. I am a lot older now so I added Old to the name.

exploder
March 30th, 2016, 08:48 PM
My user name came out of respect for a friend that passed away that went by rangeral. The guy drove a Ford Ranger and his name was Al. I drove a 91 Ford Explorer that we called exploder.

Frogs Hair
March 30th, 2016, 09:02 PM
My friend used to say " finer than frogs hair " hence the user name . I have yet to prove the existence of such a thing though .

QDR06VV9
March 30th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Before there were cell phones and internet, we used Citizen Band (CB) Radio to chat in the small town were I lived. I was know as Grey Wolf on the CB. I am a lot older now so I added Old to the name.
You still don't look a day over 20yrs:P

My friend used to say " finer than frogs hair " hence the user name . I have yet to prove the existence of such a thing though .
Maybe you have already seen this but: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=finer+than+frog+hair
My dad used to say that quite a bit..
Kind Regards

yetimon_64
March 30th, 2016, 10:37 PM
... Maybe you have already seen this but: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=finer+than+frog+hair ...

Wow, just woke up, no coffee in me yet and I'm learning something new already. You're a corrupting influence on a caffeine free brain runrickus ... :P. Cheers, I'm now off to boil the jug. :)

Bucky Ball
March 31st, 2016, 03:34 AM

I always thought you were a keen golfer and that's where you got it from. We used to say it all the time (and land in it rather than the green!). It's the bit between the fairway and the green.

http://golf.about.com/cs/golfterms/g/bldef_froghair.htm

SeijiSensei
March 31st, 2016, 04:04 PM
I started using SeijiSensei on anime forums. Roughly translated it means "politics teacher" in Japanese. My original career was as a political scientist as you might infer from the Blog link below.

G4143
March 31st, 2016, 05:21 PM
I just grabbed my first initial and a pair of primes. I don't know why I did it...Maybe I like straddling the answer to life.

him610
April 1st, 2016, 02:03 AM
I have a hard time coming up with usernames on the fly. I always try use some sort of scheme.

Pull the first 3 consonants from my first name - hgh
Middle initial is 9th position in alphabet - 9
Pull the first 3 consonants from my last name - mrp
Put them all together - hgh9mrp

Seemed to work for me.

Ogden
April 1st, 2016, 05:27 AM
Ogden Nash is a genius. I love his humor:

What's the Use?

Sure, deck your limbs in pants;
Yours are the limbs, my sweeting.
You look divine as you advance --
Have you seen yourself retreating?

RobGoss
April 2nd, 2016, 10:59 AM
Well it was easy I just use my name :)

pretty_whistle
April 2nd, 2016, 11:06 AM
I just thought of 2 random words and put them together. Plus I thought it sounded odd.

robbie 348
April 2nd, 2016, 11:16 AM
Robbie is my first name, 348 was my number when I used to drive a race car.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 2nd, 2016, 11:16 AM
i just started hitting any top row key i could find in no particular order

Dedamraz
April 2nd, 2016, 12:20 PM
Actually other people did... I reminded them of a character in a Serbian movie "Munje".

linuxyogi
April 3rd, 2016, 03:50 AM
I practice yoga daily and use Linux. So Linux + Yoga = linuxyogi

Afisamuleal
April 3rd, 2016, 05:41 AM
I've been struggling with username creation for years now. Afisamuleal was an early attempt, based around my name, Samuel, plus consonants and vowels I like.

Something like

Actually other people did... I reminded them of a character in a Serbian movie "Munje".

It's hard to pick one character out of many! I don't know but that's pretty awesome.

panda-striling
April 3rd, 2016, 05:27 PM
Mine is because i usually wear a panda kigurumi (so my friend used to call me "panda"), and Stirling because my favourite musician is Lindsey Stirling x)

charitosha
April 5th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Mine is from an e-mail that i use. (for the last 20 years!!!)
The suffix -sha in the end means youngster :-)

colin47
April 5th, 2016, 08:09 PM
MINILANDROVER
Because this is as unique as i am !!! my fully operational replica (ffr) landrover lightweight

light_yagami2
April 5th, 2016, 11:38 PM
Light Yagami from DN. I love him more than L, mainly because his idea that criminals who do horrible crimes should be killed (via their name in the death note).

(TLDR; An Anime)

ads2996
April 5th, 2016, 11:41 PM
I decided to be the most original person ever and have ,my nickname and birthday, also a creature of habbit and use it for everything.

*fingers crossed no one steals all my stuff now :(*

npxi
April 7th, 2016, 02:42 PM
combination's of keys add a twist what fit's with this one so that result is kinda nuff :)

Dragonbite
April 7th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Mine was from when I got a Gmail Invite (before it was open) and had to try and pick a name. I was running through all the names I could think of that was different than my last one (my last one was even misspelled and I wasn't the first to grab it! ;) ).

I had a friend on either IM or email trying to help me pick a name, but being at work at the time (shhhh... :-$) I was starting to get desperate to find a name because I didn't want to risk closing the window and going back.

I was using "dragon" in things, but they were all taken. My friend suggested "dragonbyte" and I was excited... alas, it was already taken.

So I changed to "dragonbite" and now, so many years later I am still using it.

I do, however, have a different one I use for my "professional" and basically employer-viewed front-end so as to keep the 2 separate. :)

xubu2
April 7th, 2016, 10:38 PM
xubu2846584136856413 was already taken, so...

:D

ScoJoMo
April 15th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Man, some of you have some cool username stories. Mine is pretty lame by comparison. Scott Joseph Mogé: ScoJoMo

Bucky Ball
April 15th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Man, some of you have some cool username stories. Mine is pretty lame by comparison. Scott Joseph Mogé: ScoJoMo

At least it's catchy and shows some imagination. ;)

izznogooood
April 15th, 2016, 08:10 PM
My father named our peace of **** boat Iznogood when i was young, the name stuck ;)

PJs Ronin
April 16th, 2016, 01:22 AM
I once had a girlfriend, a stripper, whose initials are... You get the picture.

L0k1Ky3
April 17th, 2016, 02:36 AM
I have always had some kind of name with Loki in it for years but as more and more people adopted the name and i became less and less active in social networks i just started making weird variants of the name Loki when i finally ended up with L0k1ky3. With that said yes i am happy with my name and am going to try and stick with it.

kek3
April 18th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Kek is what appear when a horde guy says lol in chat. For aliance mates. :D

sammiev
April 18th, 2016, 03:43 PM
No idea how I came up with mine. ;)

Linuxratty
April 22nd, 2016, 01:25 AM
I just thought of 2 random words and put them together. Plus I thought it sounded odd.

I first read it as penny whistle.

Linux Ratty comes from all the pet rats I had over the years,and Linux.
Both changed my life,but in different ways.

Dragonbite
April 23rd, 2016, 09:23 PM
I first read it as penny whistle.

Linux Ratty comes from all the pet rats I had over the years,and Linux.
Both changed my life,but in different ways.

Well, I would be curious if they changed your life in the SAME way! ;)

DuckHook
April 25th, 2016, 07:15 AM
See name.
See avatar.
**Enlightenment**

gameboy9309
April 29th, 2016, 01:04 PM
I love Gameboy. That's about it.

O)9(yo&#
May 1st, 2016, 05:13 AM
My parents named me, seeing that they were stuck with me.

Cammy_White
May 1st, 2016, 12:50 PM
I haven't set it yet, I do not have the amount posts are required currently.
But, for the future, it is Spiralcannon2-CW, a name I came up with for my admin account on my own site.

SPIRAL ARROW (one of the moves)
CANNON SPIKE (her signature move)
SUPER STREET FIGHTER II: THE NEW CHALLENGERS (the game she first appeared in)
CAMMY WHITE (the character I'm talking about, also the name most people know me by on the Internet)

The system I used is based on my previous handle 'Termingamer2-JD':
THE TERMINATOR
GAMER
TERMINATOR 2
JUDGMENT DAY

It's strange, because both of these names, are the only good usernames I have create.

ZoiaGuyver
May 1st, 2016, 07:22 PM
Hmmm mine is a mix of two chars from my favorite Anime series (Guyver bio booster armor), the first part of the name I always misspelled.

Zoia is actually meant to be Zoa, the chars name that it came from was a Zoalord. The reason for the "I" was because everywhere I posted at the time Zoalord or Zoaguyver were taken, so I just started using the Zoia part.

Guyver well that was the main focus in the anime, it was actually the name of the bio armor. Put them together and you get me :p