PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] which one ... "Ubuntu+Gnome.fallback" or "ubuntuMATE" or "Xubuntu"

czgirb
March 21st, 2016, 06:17 PM
as titled.
In the same hardware ... which one is quicker?
Which one is stable?
Which one is less resource eater?
Thank you in advance

jimmy-frydkaer
March 21st, 2016, 07:24 PM
Please list your hardware specs

czgirb
March 21st, 2016, 07:42 PM
Compaq CQ40 328TU Notebook
CPU: Intel Core2Duo T6400 2.0GHz
RAM: 2 x 1024MB = 2048 MB
HDD: 320GB
GPU: Intel GMA 4500MHD

ajgreeny
March 21st, 2016, 07:57 PM
I think all three of those should work fine on that hardware.

Which is quickest? I'm afraid only you will really know the answer to that if you try them, but my suspicion would be Xubuntu is the fsatest; it's certainly my preference even on my powerful desktop machine.

Crimple
March 21st, 2016, 10:19 PM
I have a similar CPU and 4gb of RAM, Xubuntu runs considerably snappier and quieter (cooling fan spins higher less often) than Ubuntu Mate.

vasa1
March 22nd, 2016, 02:48 AM
This is quite a chatty question ;)

I don't know anything about the first. Re. UM v/s Xu, it's possible that there maybe some UM settings that are more suited for frugalists / minimalists. I don't know if these are easily discoverable.

grahammechanical
March 22nd, 2016, 01:53 PM
I have just put in an install of all three of those distributions. I am now running some tests. I will post back the results.

No, I am not doing that. I am joking you. But as Mr Punch always said: "That's the way to do it."

Ubuntu does not do fallback any more. It has gnome-session-flashback. Ubuntu Gnome has Gnome Classic but it is a Gnome 3 shell extension that gives the old gnome 2 panel look but I doubt if it is using a different compositor to what Gnome 3 shell already uses. Ubuntu Mate has options to run on Compiz so that session will be not much less resource hungry than Ubuntu+Unity.

Regards.