PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] windows 10

wyndlass
March 20th, 2016, 09:58 PM
i'm trying to dual install 15.10 x64 on my hp pavilon g7-2017us that was upgraded to win 10 from 7 but the ubuntu installer keeps wanting to format my hdd instead of giving me the option to install next to windows. using live flash drive made with nettbootin. what can i do to fix this? i have the core i3 6 gb ram and about 500 gb hdd. until amazon makes a linux specific kindle app i still need ******* for that. i tried the one thru wine but that quit letting me read my books. kept giving an error and closing down the app. i don't recall the exact error now.

yancek
March 20th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Probably because you do not have any unallocated space on the drive and have windows using up the entire thing. How many partitions do you have? Are you using MBR or UEFI? windows 10 defaults to UEFI but if it is an upgrade it may be MBR. You could boot the Ubuntu flash drive and select the Try Ubuntu option. When you get to a Desktop, open a terminal and run this command: sudo gparted

Post the image output here. Or you could run: sudo fdisk -l and post that output here. That's a Lower Case Letter L in the command. If you don't have any unallocated space, you will need to shrink the largest partition and the best way to do that is from windows Disk Management.

Edison_James
March 21st, 2016, 12:47 AM
Regarding the kindle app. You can read ebooks using the Calibre app., it's a good app but it won't let you read books protected by DRM, (digital rights management technologies) Which in my case is over 80% of my kindle content. So I stay with windows for my ebooks.

jim_deadlock
March 21st, 2016, 12:31 PM
Regarding the kindle app. You can read ebooks using the Calibre app., it's a good app but it won't let you read books protected by DRM, (digital rights management technologies) Which in my case is over 80% of my kindle content. So I stay with windows for my ebooks.

Get the DeDRM plugin for Calibre: https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/calibre-plugins-the-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm/

HermanAB
March 21st, 2016, 01:08 PM
You need to defragment and resize the Windows partition first, so that there is an empty partition for Ubuntu to install onto.

wyndlass
March 27th, 2016, 07:22 PM
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fdisk -l
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram0: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram1: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram2: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram3: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram4: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram5: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram6: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram7: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram8: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram9: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram10: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram11: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram12: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram13: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram14: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/ram15: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/loop0: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sda: Permission denied
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdb: Permission denied
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fdisk -l

this is what i get, from fdisk.can't figure out how to get the screen shot to display in the message.

Rocky_Bennett
March 27th, 2016, 07:29 PM
If I were the OP, I would download an ISO of Windows 10 then I would do a clean install of Windows 10. That would allow complete control of the hard drive and allow for a very easy partition set up. Without a clean install of Windows 10, Microsoft has that hard drive locked.

LostFarmer
March 27th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Try with root privliages ' sudo fdisk -l '

wyndlass
April 1st, 2016, 05:43 PM
i'll try that. thanks lostfarmer.

slickymaster
April 1st, 2016, 05:47 PM
Moved to the Installation & Upgrades sub-forum

wyndlass
April 10th, 2016, 09:37 PM
i decided to just format and dedicate the whole drive to willy. thanx guys.