PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow desktop performance

daffy_
March 15th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Hi,

I am running a fresh installed Ubuntu 15.10 vanilla desktop on a workstation which is quite powerful (was state of the art 1,5 years ago).

32GB RAM
Core i7-4770
nvidia GTX 770
SSD as system disk

I am also running the nvidia 352.53 binary driver from nVidia (nvidia-352-updates)

And I am experiencing much worse desktop performance than I am on my "aging" Dell XPS 15 laptop with HiDPI resolution from 2013 - running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Ideally I would be running 14.04 on this workstation as well - since I know that it works - but there were issues with installing due to a "only EFI motherboard" , and some drivers that were missing. (It may have been fixed now for all I know - but it is also quite painful to do a backport - so the best thing would be to get Ubuntu 15.10 working).

My main problem is that the desktop is unresponsive. It continually has a "approximately 50-200ms" lag - both when typing and when using the mouse. The mouse movements is nowhere near as smooth as on my laptop - even though I have tried with multiple mice - also interchanging between laptop and workstation. And if I try to resize a window - the resize experience is at best "choppy" - at worst completely unusable. If I try to re-size windows - Xorg bumps to the top in "top" - which may indicate that I have some gfx driver issues? But according to the "Additional Drivers" ubuntu application - I am using the correct binary drivers. I am also able to play Steam quite well (not quite as well as if I were running windows) - so I am confident that the binary gfx drivers at least are in use when playing games.

I am guessing that the same problems also may be the root cause to me having extreme problems with running vmWare (or VirtualBox). Any of those are virtually un-usable due to intermittend lags and choppy and erratic behaviour.

Any good suggestions are appreciated! :)