PDA

View Full Version : Display not working

skinner927
March 15th, 2016, 02:18 AM
I have a remote machine running 14.04.1 Desktop x64 kernel 3.19.0-51-generic. Everything's updated as far as apt is concerned.

Recently the display has stopped working. I do have automatic updates so perhaps an update screwed something up, but it could be a hardware failure, I'm unsure how to determine either.
This is a kiosk machine at my parents house (it's a picture frame) and they're only going to make things worse if I try to get them to open the box so I have to do everything remotely (plus I'm 5 hours away).

I can ssh into the box. I've tried VNC with vino and I only get a blank screen. I've since turned it off for fear it could be creating it's own issues.

From photos they've sent it seem the screen is completely off. No backlight. I don't know if there's blinking cursor in the corner because the picture frame cuts of the top and bottom of the screen (neat, I know).

They're telling me they only get the BIOS POST and then the screen goes black. So it doesn't appear to be a hardware failure.

~/.xsession-errors is empty

I tired installing xbacklight to see if the backlight was the issue. xbacklight says: Cannot open display ""

Most screen related programs are spitting out similar. I cant seem to find where to start with this issue. How do I, I guess, attempt to reattach a screen? Not sure that's the correct terminology.

Here's output from lshw. It seems the screen is identified, but possibly not being used? Any ideas? I can run anything you'd like. Thanks in advance!

lshw -C display
*-display:0
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 07
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:32 memory:d0000000-d03fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:8110(size=8)
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
version: 07
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:d6500000-d65fffff