PDA

View Full Version : Getting Help

cmcglath
March 13th, 2016, 05:16 AM
How do you get a response to a question? I look at the threads & their are questions, including mine, which go answered while others are "jumped" on. Is there a pecking order, an initiation, etc ? I would prefer a "Don't bother us!" rather than just nothing. Just curious & thanks.

Bucky Ball
March 13th, 2016, 05:23 AM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

You use a descriptive title, as you did, you use default font and point size, code tags rather than a heap of colour tags to make it neater (the neater the better to attract a response), you give as much information as you can about what you've tried and links to any pages you have used to try and fix your issue (you give no information about any of this on your jack thread, just output) and if all else fails, after about twelve hours or so you simply post 'bump' on the thread. That will take it to the top of the new posts list again.

That is it. We are all volunteers here and if no-one knows the answer to your question there is no magic that is going to change that. We cover a lot of time zones so it may also be the case that the person that can help hasn't seen your post yet.

You also do some research prior to posting and find pages like this one (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToJACKConfiguration). Make your search criteria specific for better results. The error you should be investigating is right there in the output you posted.

Good luck. ;)

QIII
March 13th, 2016, 05:36 AM
See what I did in your thread.

v3.xx
March 13th, 2016, 05:50 AM
For me, sometimes I'll read a post that has and unusual error. An example would be something like a "D-BUS: JACK server could not be started". This is an error I have not encountered before, so I google it (get a bunch of hits) and fine I'm still not able to give any good advice and move on.

Bucky Ball
March 13th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Incidentally, I've been a lone-wolf on my own threads here on numerous occasions. Most I eventually solve through my own efforts and others dribble to a standstill and I come back to the problem later ... perhaps.

Just throwing that in. Think the syndrome happens to all of us at one time or another.

* ... and if you haven't had a response for a long period, just bump the thread as QIII has done. :)

HermanAB
March 13th, 2016, 11:44 AM
If you get no response, then maybe you really do have a unique problem that nobody else ever encountered. In this case, once you figured it out, do revisit your post and describe the solution, so that the next poor sod that finds your post with google, will get some assistance.

oldos2er
March 15th, 2016, 12:20 AM
I would add to Bucky's first post, you give the Ubuntu version and flavor you're using, and your hardware specs. Making people fish for information to try to help isn't conducive to getting good timely answers or suggestions.

gordintoronto
March 15th, 2016, 09:40 PM
+1 oldos2er!

squirrel3
March 16th, 2016, 04:38 AM
It depends sometimes on how good it was typed. Sometimes people do not understand the question being asked therefore they do not reply.