PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from 14.04 to 15.10 and wont finish

Clanstyles
March 12th, 2016, 07:38 PM
After apt-get upgrade was running it froze on "Setting up keyboard-configuration" I checked error logs, dpkg.log had:

2016-03-12 12:30:42 startup packages configure
2016-03-12 12:30:42 configure keyboard-configuration:all 1.108ubuntu9 <none>
2016-03-12 12:30:42 status half-configured keyboard-configuration:all 1.108ubuntu9

I can't figure out why it's not finishing or what to do. Any ideas?

grahammechanical
March 12th, 2016, 07:57 PM
What state is the installation in now? If the upgrade has not finished, have you shut down and re-started? Or, do you still have an incomplete upgrade that is still frozen?

What you do will all depend on what you have already done. If you have backed up your data then you have a little less worry if a restart ends up with a completely unusable system.

If the restart loads to any kind of working desktop environment we can run

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And that might finish the upgrade. We can also at the boot menu select Advanced options for Ubuntu and then select recovery mode. At the recovery menu we can select Network to set up an internet connection and then select Root shell prompt and then run

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

To get back to the recovery menu we type enter and then we can select Resume and see if that gets us to a working desktop. There is one more thing we can do. We can prepare ourselves for the last resort of a fresh install.

Regards.

kansasnoob
March 12th, 2016, 07:59 PM
What method did you use to upgrade?

kansasnoob
March 12th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Possibly this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/console-setup/+bug/1509392

Clanstyles
March 12th, 2016, 10:01 PM
I upgraded via the recommended upgrade popup. So via the package manager i assume. I'm able to boot into 15.10 but I'm not able to manage my packages since it didn't finish configuring a few packages (the keyboard is the one getting stuck).

kansasnoob
March 13th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Try:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

Clanstyles
March 13th, 2016, 04:05 AM
I'm getting

/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: keyboard-configuration is broken or not fully installed

kansasnoob
March 13th, 2016, 05:15 AM
OK, you're going to have to try some things and be sure to post back here any errors. It may also be neccessary to repeat any number of these commands in no specific order. To start:

sudo apt-get update

Next we'll try --fix-broken and/or --fix-missing suffixes which can be used both with dist-upgrade or with a specific package like:

sudo apt-get install keyboard-configuration --fix-missing

Or:

sudo apt-get install keyboard-configuration --fix-broken

Or with dist-upgrade like:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-missing

Or:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-broken

A lesser used, and seldom helpful suffix is --ignore-missing. But it's seldom helpful although once in a while it can break a log jam long enough to get other packages installed and/or upgraded.

Another helpful command is:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

And yet another is:

sudo apt-get -f install

And, as I already said, you may need to repeat any of those in no specific order. If apt-get update shows any errors at all that will prevent you from going any further so let us know.

Clanstyles
March 13th, 2016, 06:42 AM
sudo apt-get install keyboard-configuration --fix-missing
This did the same thing (stuck at keyboard-configuration)

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-missing
Still, same thing. I was missing a few packages (flashplugin-installer libotr5 liboxideqt-qmlplugin liboxideqtcore0 liboxideqtquick0 oxideqt-codecs-extra) - I don't use flash plugins ever... not sure why it's included.

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-broken
This does the same thing. No actual changes to be made

Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
26 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.

I should note, I haven't been able to run any these commands without running the command below first. I then try to CTRL+C before it hits Setting up keyboard-configuration. I should note I see the message it's starting it and I cancel it. I have also let it run and it just freezes.

sudo dpkg --configure -a

I should note, sudo apt-get -f install is an option, I would like to avoid using it. I want to see if we can narrow down what the issue with the keyboard-configuration setup is.

kansasnoob
March 13th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Does sudo apt-get update display any errors at all?

Edison_James
March 13th, 2016, 05:54 PM
I have never had success with upgrades and don't even bother trying anymore. I wait for a new version and do a clean install.
An upgrade to 15.10 becomes redundant in a few weeks anyway as the new 16.04 LTS will be released.

Clanstyles
March 14th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Does sudo apt-get update display any errors at all?

This doesn't do anything, it's not a valid command.

I have never had success with upgrades and don't even bother trying anymore. I wait for a new version and do a clean install.
An upgrade to 15.10 becomes redundant in a few weeks anyway as the new 16.04 LTS will be released.

I understand what you're saying. I don't really want to reformat if possible.

sammiev
March 14th, 2016, 03:06 AM
sudo apt-get update

This is what kansasnoob suggested.

Bashing-om
March 14th, 2016, 03:17 AM
Clanstyles; Hello;

Is your keyboard functional at this time ?
What results ?

sudo apt-get --reinstall install xkb-data

depending on that result is what we do next.

maybe yes

maybe not so yes

kansasnoob
March 14th, 2016, 03:33 AM
sudo apt-get update

This is what kansasnoob suggested.

+1! I'd listed it first in my post #8 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2316987&p=13454471#post13454471) because if that shows any errors at all then we need to find out why. Basically if the software cache can't update properly then we can't expect any other package transaction to work properly.