PDA

View Full Version : Trying to customize Gnome

Jakub_Brodzinski
March 12th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Hello !
I wanted to change something and I installed GNOME(via sudo apt-get install gnome). I started using GNOME Classic ,and I really like it, the only think I'd like to change is the colour of the bars at the bottom and the top. They're bright and I'd like to change it to the darker colour for example to the same colour that is in Ubuntu. Is there any way I can do it ? I found on the forums that combination of the keys Alt+RightMOuse or Alt+Super+RightMouse should give me some options but sadly It doesn't do anything .

buzzingrobot
March 13th, 2016, 12:56 AM
Pretty sure the appearance of those panels is controlled by the theme in use.

Gnome uses Gnome Shell themes that apply to the panel, the Dash, etc., and GTK themes that apply to GTK apps.

The dark Unity colors are in its default Ambiance theme. Here's one reputable source of themes for Ubuntu. They have a number of PPA's, if you want to use them. Notice the themes are categorized by release versions because themes are typically version-specific. The links point to articles that contain instructions on how to install the themes. http://www.noobslab.com/p/themes-icons.html

Install "gnome-tweak-tool" so you can enable new themes once you've installed them

goofprog
March 13th, 2016, 04:00 AM
Yes, there is a way. I do not know how but there are GTK 2.0 themes for gnome classic and I had no idea how to put them into the desktop environment. I just quit on that problem.

Frogs Hair
March 14th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Hello !
I wanted to change something and I installed GNOME(via sudo apt-get install gnome). I started using GNOME Classic ,and I really like it, the only think I'd like to change is the colour of the bars at the bottom and the top. They're bright and I'd like to change it to the darker colour for example to the same colour that is in Ubuntu. Is there any way I can do it ? I found on the forums that combination of the keys Alt+RightMOuse or Alt+Super+RightMouse should give me some options but sadly It doesn't do anything .

The instructions you found are for the the gnome-session -flashback or fallback depending on Ubuntu version. The Gnome Classic session uses Gnome Shell themes as buzzingrobot stated. Gnome 2 themes aren't applicable to either session.

Jakub_Brodzinski
March 14th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Pretty sure the appearance of those panels is controlled by the theme in use.

Gnome uses Gnome Shell themes that apply to the panel, the Dash, etc., and GTK themes that apply to GTK apps.

The dark Unity colors are in its default Ambiance theme. Here's one reputable source of themes for Ubuntu. They have a number of PPA's, if you want to use them. Notice the themes are categorized by release versions because themes are typically version-specific. The links point to articles that contain instructions on how to install the themes. http://www.noobslab.com/p/themes-icons.html

Install "gnome-tweak-tool" so you can enable new themes once you've installed them

Using gnome tweak tool changes colour of everything but bars at the top and bottom :(.

kurt18947
March 14th, 2016, 09:40 PM
There are a couple gnome shell extensions to change the color and brightness of the panel(s). I don't know that they'd work in other than gnome shell though.

Jakub_Brodzinski
March 14th, 2016, 10:34 PM
I found some tips/themes (http://itsfoss.com/install-switch-themes-gnome-shell/). Sadly it works only in "normal" GNOME ,not GNOME CLASSIC ...

So there is a way to make your own bar at the botton in 'GNOME' (not classic) with GNOME extensions,after that u can easly customize it add/remove things.This thread can be closed .

buzzingrobot
March 15th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Using gnome tweak tool changes colour of everything but bars at the top and bottom :(.

Believe you need a Gnome Shell theme for that, which is distinct from a GTK theme. Thetrick is finding two that match.

You will also need the User Themes extension installed to change Shell themes.

kurt18947
March 24th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Believe you need a Gnome Shell theme for that, which is distinct from a GTK theme. Thetrick is finding two that match.

You will also need the User Themes extension installed to change Shell themes.

The gnome shell extension "taskbar" will change the background color of both top & bottom panel ('bar'). That extension didn't work well for me in its earlier iterations but the current version in 16.04 seems pretty good.