PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem after upgrade to version 15.10 ("x"-shaped cursor; no real access to GUI!!)

Aliot_Tubu
March 8th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Hey guys,
sorry, I am a complete noob and I havent got Ubuntu for very long time now, and already I ran into a problem. I believe I had the version 13.10. Today ubuntu asked whether Id like to update to the newest version and I decided to do it. I dont think the installation worked, since there popped up a couple of windows saying this or that didnt install properly (Ive sent for each a crash report). The installation nevertheless continued. After about 40 minutes the screen went black and nothing more happend, even though it stated earlier that Ubuntu would restart after the installation. I waited, but nothing happend. The screen was still black and I couldnt use the keyboard at all - so I turned my laptop off.

When I restarted I was asked the following:
first: to login. second: to enter my password. then a third line came up and since I didnt know what to do, I googled a bit around (knowing basically nothing about commands) and decided to go with the command: startx

I was really relieved that I got back to my desktop (with my old wallpaper/picture) and all my desktop files. But what was missing, was the sidebar and the panel at the top which consisted of the time, date, an e-mail button (to access thunderbird), etc. And even weirder: the curser turned into a black "X". Fortunately I can open the Terminal.

I googled a bit more to solve the problem and found the following on this forum:

>

NOTE : THE FOLLOWING COMMAND WILL TERMINATE YOUR ACTIVE SESSION

Enter the following commands:- Ctrl+Alt+F1 login there by user name and password

try sudo service lightdm restart

If lightdm fails to get back at normal :-
then Enter:- sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install unity
<

Before I try something I dont understand I wanted to ask you guys.
Can anyone help me how to get it back to normal (recovery) or to make the new update work? Thank you in advance.

Aliot_Tubu
March 15th, 2016, 07:00 PM
no one who could help out? please

v3.xx
March 15th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Hi Aliot_Tubu

Try this in terminal

sudo dpkg –configure -a && sudo apt-get -f install