PDA

View Full Version : It's good to be back! (usung Ubuntu)

benrob0329
March 8th, 2016, 02:50 AM
So I recently built my first desktop (a beast of a machine if you asked me) and tried various Linux distros on it, starting with Fedora, then moving onto OpenSUSE, Manjaro, and I even tried to install Debian, but they all failed in some respect (mostly no video, I have a 980ti).

So I installed Mint, and was not dissapointed, the drivers worked, it felt snappy and very customizable!

However it's based off of 14.04, which has rather outdated packages and I couldn't get Jackd to work right, so tonight I downloaded Ubuntu and everything works perfectly! As far as Jackd and online accounts go.

The only thing I am having trouble with is the embedded WiFi/Bluetooth (not a big deal as I have an Ethernet connection) however it worked on Mint (via the drivers tool)

All and all I am very happy with everything, so keep up the good work guys!

frank75
March 16th, 2016, 07:25 AM
I started with Ubuntu 12.04LTS a few years ago but quickly grew tired of the Unity DE. I've moved around from a few different Distros, mostly Debian/Ubuntu or Arch based and messed with Fedora and openSUSE(my latest try and something different which failed) and now I'm back on Ubuntu 14.04LTS Studio Edition. I just think that Ubuntu has enough of a Corporation behind it to help take care of bugs and do what's needed to keep the Distro moving forward. Too many Distros are just kind of a "Mom and Pop" kind of deal where things don't get fixed or they're only done to keep the Developers happy and not to improve the product for the General Public. I may move to something else, never can tell but for now Ubuntu Studio is working well on my laptop and I'll run it until I find something that fits my needs better.

Carpentr
March 16th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Welcome back.

I am sure you won't be disappointed with Ubuntu. My favorite part about the whole distro is the community behind it; I have never met a friendlier community for a Linux distro.

I started with Ubuntu 12.04LTS a few years ago but quickly grew tired of the Unity DE.

Same. Though, MATE has alleviated that problem for me as of late. I'm running it on Debian and like it very much. I started with Ubuntu 8.04 (Gnome 2) and have always preferred that DE.

frank75
March 16th, 2016, 08:34 PM
The Studio Edition is running Xfce which is just a bit lighter than MATE but I can work with both. Gnome3 looks nice but eats up a lot of RAM to run and KDE, well, just to complicated for this ol' boy,LOL, I like to tweak my DE a bit but KDE takes it to the extreme so that it's very easy to mess something up. I guess if it was between running Windows or Ubuntu Unity I'd take Unity 2 to 1 over Windows but that's what I love about Linux, we have so many choices, no need to just be "stuck with" one DE when there's so many good ones out there. Xfce is my #1 and MATE would be a close 2nd with Pantheon or Gnome3 coming in a distant 3rd. The Elementary Team really has done a good job on the look of their Pantheon Desktop and in fact that's what I have running on my wife's little netbook since it's uber simple for her and there's not much chance of her messing anything up.