PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Updates failing - Google Chrome

RobGoss
March 8th, 2016, 12:07 AM
Hello everyone, I hope someone can answer this question for me. For the past few days each time I trying updating my Ubuntu system I get the following message.

Message I receive:

Failed to fetch http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages

I did a search and found something that stated I should go to Software and Updates and uncheck this package, I did that but yet I continue to get this message.
Thanks in advanced..

Bashing-om
March 8th, 2016, 12:23 AM
RobGoss; Hey ...

Known issue . For systems running 64 bit .

See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2315941&p=13451268#post13451268

for this resolution.

we can do that

RobGoss
March 8th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Hello Bashing-om, Thanks for the fast reply.

My system is a 32-bit not 64, and from what I have been reading the 32-bit is not supported any more so what should I do I only use Google chrome....

QDR06VV9
March 8th, 2016, 12:34 AM
Last week they dropped support for 32 bit Chrome(No More Chrome 32 bit) so it is telling you that no more security updates I believe there is a 32 bit Chromium out there.
But you will still need to Delete(Remove Chrome) and the source-list in /etc/apt/source list.
Hope this Helps

slickymaster
March 8th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Hello Bashing-om, Thanks for the fast reply.

My system is a 32-bit not 64, and from what I have been reading the 32-bit is not supported any more so what should I do I only use Google chrome....
The 32-bit build configurations for Chromium continues to be supported, so you can still use Chromium.

Bashing-om
March 8th, 2016, 12:36 AM
RobGoss; Ouch !

Google dropped 32 bit support and pulled all the 32 bit stuff off their server(s) .

You will have to find you another 32 bit web browser that will suit your needs as there will be no further updates for 32 bit softwares .

elseif: a 64 bit machine. install the 'buntu 64 bit edition.

in the name of progress ???

RobGoss
March 8th, 2016, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys but is Chromium as good as Google chrome I never used it?

And what's the best way to install Chromium on my Ubuntu system

Big thanks to you all for your help

QDR06VV9
March 8th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Chromium is built on Chrome..so yes.

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
to install it
Netflix will require some extra packages like this "chromium-widevine" && "pepperflash-nonfree"
There are some site that show how but I will have to find them.
Here is one: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/01/pipelight-brings-widevine-support-for.html

howefield
March 8th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Chromium is built on Chrome..so yes.]

Wrong way round.

@RobGoss, This might help in terms of the differences between the two: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/chromium_browser_vs_google_chrome.md and in addition, there is no flash player or pdf viewer in Chromium by default (both easily "fixable").

Chromium is available from the Software Centre or your package manager of choice.

RobGoss
March 8th, 2016, 12:58 AM
Oh ok I'll give it a try and see what works

I guess I should remove Google chrome? what's the best way to completely remove it

thanks so much

Bashing-om
March 8th, 2016, 01:55 AM
Just wondering ......

If one were, in this instance, to ppa-purge google-chrome-stable would that revert to chromium ??

possible ?

that "might" happen

howefield
March 8th, 2016, 02:02 AM
I guess I should remove Google chrome? what's the best way to completely remove it

sudo apt-get purge google-chrome-stable

should completely remove chrome, although you don't have to remove Chrome just to get Chromium. You can have both on the system quite happily.

slickymaster
March 8th, 2016, 02:40 AM
Just wondering ......

If one were, in this instance, to ppa-purge google-chrome-stable would that revert to chromium ??

possible ?

that "might" happen

Nopes, Bashing-om

Bashing-om
March 8th, 2016, 02:46 AM
Welp;

slickymaster: " Nopes, Bashing-om"
Was a thought .. recon the package management system is smart, real smart .....

just not that smart

RobGoss
March 8th, 2016, 03:34 AM
But if I continue to use Google Chrome isn't it a risk do to the fact there's no more support for the 32 bit version?.

howefield
March 8th, 2016, 08:54 AM
But if I continue to use Google Chrome isn't it a risk do to the fact there's no more support for the 32 bit version?.

I guess so, the point I was making was that having it on your system didn't mean you couldn't install chromium.

Yes, best to remove Chrome. :)

RobGoss
March 8th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Ok sounds good I will remove Chrome I can't see any reason to keep it. I'm really surprise Google stop support for it.

Thanks so much everyone

slickymaster
March 8th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Ok sounds good I will remove Chrome I can't see any reason to keep it. I'm really surprise Google stop support for it.

Thanks so much everyone

See this: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/chrome/discuss-chrome/windows-10/Stable/wrMB9YbD5vk