PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 video streaming capabilites -- need upgrade?

elizabeth6
March 7th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I have to use Ubuntu 10.04 to stream video to / receive video from a Windows 7 machine preferably using VLC. Is this possible because it is outdated so should I have to update or get an upgrade to a newer version of ubuntu? I have tried so many different settings to try to get this to work, but I always get an error. Any help with this is much appreciated. :P

Frogs Hair
March 7th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Hello and Welcome

Best to start with a supported long term support (LTS) release such as 14.04. I'm not sure about streaming from one OS to another , but file sharing is entirely possible.

SeijiSensei
March 7th, 2016, 09:15 PM
I don't know how the uploading part would work, but you can stream from a Linux box using DLNA to clients in the same local subnet as the server. I use minidlna and can stream to machines running VLC and to my Android phone with BubbleUPnP+MXPlayer. Minidlna is pretty easy to configure. You just enter the names of the directories where the files are stored with the "media_dir" parameter in /etc/minidlna.conf. For instance,

media_dir=A,/media/storage/Music
The "A" indicates they are audio files. You can use "P" for images, "V" for videos, and combinations.

My LG TV doesn't like some of the file formats or codecs used in my video files, but more open-minded clients work quite well.