PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to install Ubuntu 32-bit on an old Advent laptop running XP

ash23
March 7th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Sup all,

First time poster here, I have exhausted all the available options within my current capabilites and I was hoping the community could help me. So here's the scoop. I have an old Advent laptop that I was hoping to give a new lease of life, I initially wanted it to run android as I wanted something super lightweight and I was only going to use it a media system. Upon trying to install it it gave me the "syslinux" error. So I went into the image edited the files from isolinux to syslinux and re attempted still no luck. Creating a live CD took me a little further, it would read now and again but would always fail and the install screen was all black and didn't seem quite right. So after using different USB sticks, CD's and live key creators I thought android just wouldn't cut it so I turned my attention to Unbuntu.

Pritty much having the exact same issue with Ubuntu and even Wubi dosent work. It's almost as if the laptop is preventing me from installing anything other the Windows XP. I had created a partion on the HDD with 40GB free as I wanted to use it as my main OS. I have Ubuntu/win10 Dual-boot on my main PC so it isn't like I haven't been successful in the past so I'm not sure how to proceed. The 1GB of ram just dosen't cut it with XP especially when you throw in an anti-virus as well. If anyone knows a work around or knows something I've missed it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ash

mörgæs
March 7th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.
Please post all hardware details.