PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intriguing and infuriating problems with Ubuntu installation on Toshiba

Pobesnelimrmot
March 5th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Hi everyone, hope that someone will be able to help me.

I had a problem with my wife's Toshiba Satellite C55-A running on Windows 10, when Win performed update, and would not boot any more and also locked HDD. After trying literally every guide on this topic, and loosing my mind, I decided to take out the data through the docking station, and format the drive and install Ubuntu on it.
Anyway, data out, drive formatted, I try to run Ubuntu 14.04 installation on it from live USB, and it always gets stuck on trying to connect page of the installation.
I tried then to reinstall Win, and it installs almost to the end, when it gives out message that it can't reboot.

Anybody have an idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

mikewhatever
March 5th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Could be various hardware or installation media problems. Doesn't seem to be related to Ubuntu that much.

ubfan1
March 5th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Do the install without the internet connection, then deal with any proprietary drivers needed for wireless.

Bucky Ball
March 5th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Do the install without the internet connection, then deal with any proprietary drivers needed for wireless.

^^^
This.

Either connect a cable or skip that step. Incidentally, best not to install updates or tick the box to add third-party stuff. You can do that later if you need to. Same with update. Do that once the install is successful and you are at a stable desktop.

Have you selected the 'Try Ubuntu' option rather than the install and tried it out from the install media before install? Probably an idea. You might hate it! Just bear in mind that it is not a drop in replacement for Windows and Windows programs won't run natively on Linux. You'll need to find alternatives unless you already use a lot of open-source apps. :D