PDA

View Full Version : it would be great if the computer i bought for Dapper could use Dapper

ice60
August 7th, 2006, 06:50 PM
i can't get Ubuntu installed, sometimes it can't see my drives, right now i have this error in the screenshot.

where can i find an installfest in London? or where are the Ubuntu devs based in London, maybe if i take mt box there someone might install dapper for me lol. i don't know what to do, i need an OS, right now i don't have anything other then afew livecds.

christhemonkey
August 7th, 2006, 06:58 PM
May i recomend the alternate CD to you my friend?

If you want to pay for support in the UK:
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/marketplace/europe
(scroll down to UK section!)

ice60
August 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
May i recomend the alternate CD to you my friend?

If you want to pay for support in the UK:
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/marketplace/europe
(scroll down to UK section!)

oh, i hadn't realised what the alternate cd was :rolleyes: i thought it might have been the text install lol. i'll download it now. thanks for the help :cool:

Brunellus
August 7th, 2006, 07:09 PM
oh, i hadn't realised what the alternate cd was :rolleyes: i thought it might have been the text install lol. i'll download it now. thanks for the help :cool:
the alternate CD is the text-based installer.

TravisNewman
August 7th, 2006, 07:42 PM
but it has more support for partitioning, etc, which is the problem you seem to be having. It's text based, but still works wonders.

ice60
August 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM
right, well from when i last posted up until now is the time it took me to realise that i can't burn the iso while i'm using the livecd ](*,)

how can i burn it :confused: i though about puppy because i think the whole livecd is loaded into memory so you can take the cd out and burn the image then. but i can't burn that iso either :-|

the alternate CD is the text-based installer. thanks :)

ice60
August 7th, 2006, 07:44 PM
but it has more support for partitioning, etc, which is the problem you seem to be having. It's text based, but still works wonders.

it think the problem i have is the SATA STRIPE RAIDs

ice60
August 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM
i'm going to try another distro. if i get something else installed then i'll download the iso. i'm going to try SUSE 10.1 first.

G Morgan
August 8th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Yeah you should get the working install disc ;). The live CD is nice but the installer is about as ready for prime time as Windows ME was. Not to criticise the devs, this sort of thing happens with new technologies. The one thing they could have done is recommend the alternative disc as standard.

Anyway the alternative disc works perfectly and I'm yet to get the live CD to install properly on about 7 attempts. Even when it does partition it has problems installing, crashing out half way through.

ice60
August 8th, 2006, 02:55 AM
i managed to get suse 10.1 installed. i really don't like it. i've got a really bad headache too, i feel sick :-({|=

TheRingmaster
August 8th, 2006, 04:37 AM
i managed to get suse 10.1 installed. i really don't like it. i've got a really bad headache too, i feel sick :-({|=
you should rest

Polygon
August 8th, 2006, 05:49 AM
just a suggestion, are you sure the iso you downloaded and burned is not corrupted? do a md5 check on the iso you downloaded.