PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu: creating multiple firefox profiles command line

erotavlas
February 28th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Hi,
I have a strange problem with a script that creates firefox profiles via command line. I can create a single profile for the sudo user while I cannot create the profiles for the other normal and sudo users. I read here https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Command_Line_Options that the correct syntax is the following firefox -CreateProfile "JoelUser c:\internet\joelusers-moz-profile". I found on the web a command that retrieves all the user in a system. Then I added a loop over the users and the previous command.

usersList=$(getent passwd | grep -vE '(nologin|false)$' | \
awk -F: -v min=`awk '/^UID_MIN/ {print $2}' /etc/login.defs` \
-v max=`awk '/^UID_MAX/ {print $2}' /etc/login.defs` \
'{if(($3 >= min)&&($3 <= max)) print $1}' | \
sort -u)

for systemUser in $usersList; do
echo $systemUser

firefoxProfile="/home/$systemUser/.mozilla/firefox"
firefox -CreateProfile "profile $firefoxProfile/m4v6pi7q.profile"
chown -R $systemUser:$systemUser "/home/$systemUser/.mozilla/"

done

The problem is that if I have four-five users, the command works only for the current user that executes the script with sudo privilegios and for the first user in the list.
This is the output

admin sudo user
sudo ./user.sh
foo

(process:19288): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Success: created profile 'profile /home/foo/.mozilla/firefox/m4v6pi7q.profile' at '/home/foo/.mozilla/firefox/m4v6pi7q.profile/prefs.js'
admin

(process:19297): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Success: created profile 'profile /home/admin/.mozilla/firefox/m4v6pi7q.profile' at '/home/admin/.mozilla/firefox/m4v6pi7q.profile/prefs.js'
jack

(process:19306): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Success: created profile 'profile /home/jack/.mozilla/firefox/m4v6pi7q.profile' at '/home/admin/.mozilla/firefox/m4v6pi7q.profile/prefs.js'
chown: cannot access ‘/home/jack/.mozilla/’: No such file or directory
zorro

(process:19315): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Success: created profile 'profile /home/zorro/.mozilla/firefox/m4v6pi7q.profile' at '/home/admin/.mozilla/firefox/m4v6pi7q.profile/prefs.js'
chown: cannot access ‘/home/zorro/.mozilla/’: No such file or directory

Why for the first two users is the directory for profile corretly set, while for the other is the directory of the user that executes the script /home/admin/.mozilla/firefox/m4v6pi7q.profile?
I cannot understand if it is my fault or something else...thank you

vasa1
February 28th, 2016, 06:26 PM
... I can create a single profile for the sudo user while I cannot create the profiles for the other normal and sudo users. ...
Why do you want to use any browser with sudo? Isn't that not recommended?

erotavlas
February 28th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Why do you want to use any browser with sudo? Isn't that not recommended?

I do not want to use every browser with sudo. I only want to install the same firefox profile with all add on and settings for every user to speed up the installation. I cannot use sync function of firefox. As you can see the command
chown -R $systemUser:$systemUser "/home/$systemUser/.mozilla/"
allows to use each profile as not sudo. Or am I missing something?

erotavlas
February 28th, 2016, 08:25 PM
This code works well for the current user if it is executed with sudo privilegios

user=$(sudo logname)
firefoxProfile="/home/$user/.mozilla/firefox"
if [ ! -d "$firefoxProfile/m4v6pi7q.profile" ]; then
rm -rf $firefoxProfile
firefox -CreateProfile "profile $firefoxProfile/m4v6pi7q.profile"

7z x -y ./m4v6pi7q.profile.7z
mv ./m4v6pi7q.profile/* "$firefoxProfile/m4v6pi7q.profile"
sudo chown -R $user:$user "/home/$user/.mozilla/"
rm -rf m4v6pi7q.profile.7z m4v6pi7q.profile
fi

How can I create firefox profiles from a sudo user for each user (sudo and not sudo) of the system?

erotavlas
February 29th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Hi,
I solved with a brilliant idea. Since I need to install in many PC the same firefox profile and these PC should have only this profile, I can avoid to use the command firefox -CreateProfile "profile $firefoxProfile/m4v6pi7q.profile that is the source of the problem. I can directly move the firefox folder with profiles.ini inside plus the m4v6pi7q.profile and crash reports folders into the home folder of each user in the system. This works perfectly.
I report the Linux/Ubuntu script

usersList=$(getent passwd | grep -vE '(nologin|false)$' | \
awk -F: -v min=`awk '/^UID_MIN/ {print $2}' /etc/login.defs` \
-v max=`awk '/^UID_MAX/ {print $2}' /etc/login.defs` \
'{if(($3 >= min)&&($3 <= max)) print $1}' | \
sort -u)

for systemUser in $usersList; do
firefoxProfile="/home/$systemUser/.mozilla"
if [ ! -d "$firefoxProfile/firefox/m4v6pi7q.profile" ]; then
echo "Installing Firefox profile for user: $systemUser"
sudo rm -rf $firefoxProfile
sudo mkdir -p $firefoxProfile