PDA

View Full Version : Panel Width Defaults to 150 pixels in Lubuntu 15.10 and 16.04

wjbmd48
February 28th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Hi:

I like to keep my panel on the right margin, to maximize my vertical screen dimension.

I've noticed a problem in Lubuntu 15.10 and the beta of 16.04, but not in 14.04, which is that the panel width defaults to 150 pixels, no matter what I set it at, with each reboot.

This, apparently, is a well-reported bug:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/721756/lxpanel-wont-save-width-settings-when-its-at-the-left-edge

supposedly you can fix it with:
sudo apt-get remove lxpanel-data lxpanel
then you can install lxpanel-data and then lxpanel.

To avoid system auto-update to 0.8.1 you can launch

sudo apt-mark hold lxpanel
sudo apt-mark hold lxpanel-data

And also by changing the icon size by even one pixel.

But neither of those fixes work for me.

I'd happily stay with 14.04, but this runs into another bug, which is that that 14.04 only recognizes 64G of
my 128 GB Kingspec SSD on encrypted install, which doesn't happen with later distros.

Any ideas?

Bill

egeezer
February 29th, 2016, 08:02 PM
Instead of just your original remove, you might try
sudo apt-get remove --purge or if you want to get really down to it, go to superuser status with
sudo -i and use # dpkg –purge (the initial # is the superuser prompt signal that compares to $ in normal user mode) When you're done, make sure to exit the superuser status and then exit regular.

wjbmd48
February 29th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Thanks!!

But no joy; after entering all those into terminal and exiting out of superuser then admin, still defaults back to 150 wide on reboot.

Bill