PDA

View Full Version : pandora and chromium

rosswmcgee
February 27th, 2016, 09:48 PM
Pandora kept giving me a message saying I need to upgrade Adobe flash and would not open. I am using ubuntu 12.04.4 lts. I tried a few thing all failed. So I downloaded Chrome and installed it. Now Pandora works fine. I like Chrome better than Chromium. I use Chrome on my smartphone too. Pandora worked fine in Firefox and these are the two browsers I generally use. If I get a website that tells me to discontinue using adblock then I use midori which they seem not to have caught up with yet.

grahammechanical
February 28th, 2016, 12:45 AM
I do not know what Pandora is. But I think that Adobe stopped updating its Linux version of Flash some years ago and Google has somehow obtained permission to integrate Flash into Chrome and also to take responsibility for keeping the Linux version up to date.

There is a procedure to obtain the Chrome version of Flash by using the Ubuntu Software Centre. We down load a Flash plugin installer. The installer downloads Chrome and extracts the Flash components and then uninstalls Chrome leaving the Flash components behind for Firefox or Chromium to use.

It seems that Pandora is taking advantage of Chrome's integration of Flash.

Regards.

Frogs Hair
February 28th, 2016, 01:25 AM
Pepperflash-nonfree is the package graham is referring to. I have tried it in Opera which is Chromium based and it doesn't work. The Pithos Pandora client from the software center works fine with no additional flash player . If you interact on the social end of Pandora you may have to install Chrome if Pepper doesn't work.

rosswmcgee
February 28th, 2016, 01:43 AM
Correction I am using ubuntu 14.04.4.

Chrome works with Pandora. Chromium quit working with Pandora.

vasa1
February 28th, 2016, 03:01 AM
I do not know what Pandora is. ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_Radio is what OP refers to, I'm guessing.

And:
07:38 AM ~ $ apt-cache search pandora
libpiano-dev - library to interface with Pandora radio -- development
libpiano0 - library to interface with Pandora radio -- runtime files
pandora - GIMP Plugin For Creating Panoramas
pandora-build - autotools made better, faster stronger
pandorafms-agent - Pandora FMS - The Flexible Monitoring System (agent)
pianobar - console based player for Pandora radio
pithos - Pandora Radio client for the GNOME desktop
unity-webapps-pandora - Unity Webapp for pandora
unity-webapps-pandora-com - Unity Webapp for pandora-com
07:39 AM ~ $

ajgreeny
February 28th, 2016, 03:32 AM
If you install the two packages adobe-flashplugin, and also freshplayerplugin from the webupd8 repository (I will have to let you search for that as I have not figured out how to copy a URL using android which is what I am.using at the moment) you will see that you get the most recent version of flash, 20.0.0.296 or similar in chromium.and firefox.

If you any other flash packages installed remove them as they only confuse the system and mean you may still be using older versions of flash in one or other, or both browsers.

rosswmcgee
February 28th, 2016, 06:05 PM
I like Chrome better now that I have i and zero problems.

Dragonbite
February 29th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Pandora in the browser is a resource hog.

Install Pithos (http://pithos.github.io/), an application that plays Pandora and, unlike the web version, shows you the next 3 songs that are going to be played!

Installation is as easy as
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pithos/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pithos

I install that on all of my Linuxes... I wish it was available for Windows even!

yoshii
March 1st, 2016, 12:11 AM
I still use FireFox. I was able to use some kind of linux flash substitute (i forget what it was called). There's a way to get a file and put it into a specific directory. Apparently it gets installed into the wrong directory and some people say to create a symbolic link to the file. I didn't know how to create a symbolic link so instead I just copied the file into the place where FireFox needs it and now FireFox plays flash OK for me. Sorry that this is so vague. I don't remember the details. But I don't like Chrome so I wasn't going to install Chrome and it turns out you don't have to. All you need is that particular flash file in one or two places (or symbolically linked, if you know how to do that).

As for Pandora, Pithos is great!!!!!! it's in the Software Center.

user1397
March 1st, 2016, 09:31 AM
I just use spotify, like it much better than pandora. Mostly use it on my android phone, but sometimes use it through a browser, in which case it also needs flash (which sucks), but it works fine on Chrome. Not sure about other browsers.

Dragonbite
March 1st, 2016, 03:24 PM
In Ubuntu, I haven't had any issues with running Flash. In other distributions it is not so, but Ubuntu has been as easy to use as the proprietary systems when it comes to flash and codecs.

rosswmcgee
March 5th, 2016, 03:41 AM
Added pithos via synaptic , fixed problem went back to chromium and removed chrome, pleas and thank you.

Frogs Hair
March 5th, 2016, 10:56 PM
I have Pandora working with Opera using the adobe-flashplugin from the 15.10 repository. This is not the flashplugin-intaller. I’ve been a regular Pithos user, but it's nice to have the site working in Opera.

Adobe® Flash® Player is a cross-platform, browser-based application runtime
that provides uncompromised viewing of expressive applications, content, and
videos across browsers and operating systems.

This package provides plugins compatible with both Chromium and Mozilla based
web browsers