PDA

View Full Version : How to type the square root symbol?

d-cosner
February 25th, 2016, 05:22 PM
I am running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on my laptop. I desperately need to know how to type the square root symbol to do my math assignments for college. I have searched and searched but have not found anything that works.

Bashing-om
February 25th, 2016, 05:56 PM
d-cosner; Welllll ...

What language and what keyboard are you using ?
The ' # ' symbol on my United States - English (US), ASCII *qwerty* keyboard is the uppercase '3' .

hope this helps a little bit

d-cosner
February 25th, 2016, 06:16 PM
It's a US keyboard. I need the symbol that looks like a check mark sort of division symbol, hard to describe....

QDR06VV9
February 25th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Ubuntu Linux PC
Step 1
Open the document you would like to insert the square root symbol into.
Step 2
Press and hold the "Ctrl" and "Shift" keys together.
Step 3
Type "u221a" while holding down the "Ctrl" and "Shift" keys. Use your keypad for the numbers.
Step 4
Release the "Ctrl" and "Shift" keys.
Hope this still works!!
Yes it still works..

vasa1
February 25th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Have you looked at Character Map aka gucharmap > Standard Symbols L? √

howefield
February 25th, 2016, 06:25 PM
On this laptop the numeric keypad doesn't do it but the numerals along the top of the keyboard manage it. You may have to try both.

d-cosner
February 25th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the reply but I tried that and it would not work...

This is the software I am trying to type the symbol in.

http://s26.postimg.org/pxp0x6hrp/Screenshot_from_2016_02_25_12_26_35.jpg
(http://postimg.org/image/pxp0x6hrp/)

vasa1
February 25th, 2016, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the reply but I tried that and it would not work...

This is the software I am trying to type the symbol in.

http://s26.postimg.org/pxp0x6hrp/Screenshot_from_2016_02_25_12_26_35.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/pxp0x6hrp/)That image is v. tiny at least for me :(

sammiev
February 25th, 2016, 06:32 PM
My US keyboard it's "Ctrl v"

d-cosner
February 25th, 2016, 07:05 PM
I have tried all the suggestions but am completely lost. I need a simplified explanation I guess.

Edit: We all missed the obvious! The symbols were on the left side of the web app itself! I really feel dumb but I am glad to have the answer. Someone on another forum spotted this in the screen shot.

sisco311
February 25th, 2016, 07:30 PM
There are some math symbols (including sqrt) at the top left of the page. Did you try to click them?

montag dp
February 25th, 2016, 07:30 PM
I can't see your image. What software is it? Most software intended for technical documents has a way to do this built into the program. For example, with LibreOffice you can the formula editor. Or with latex it is \sqrt{} in math mode. If the program you are using doesn't have a fairly easy way to do this, maybe you should be using something else?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess you got it figured out.

QDR06VV9
February 25th, 2016, 07:34 PM
There are some math symbols (including sqrt) at the top left of the page. Did you try to click them?

+1 Here is his suggestion (Screenshot)

user1397
February 25th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Hehe, I remember it took me a second to figure out how to use that interface in one of my online classes one time.

Just to add one thing though, in case you were wondering how to add the square root sign in html, you gotta type
√

d-cosner
February 25th, 2016, 09:03 PM
I can make the symbol with \sqrt. Funny thing is some of the other ones just appear when I click on them.

d-cosner
February 26th, 2016, 01:52 PM
I had class last night, under Windows 7 clicking on the button made the symbol appear. In LMDE 2 Cinnamon and Ubuntu Mate the only way to make the symbol appear was \sqrt. Both Windows and Linux systems were using Firefox so you would think everything would work the same.

The app does use flash, so the flash version might be the difference.

QDR06VV9
February 26th, 2016, 06:00 PM
If you don't mind using 3rd party PPA's
And I think there is a lot here that use this one..
You can get the newest version of flash player to firefox. Just do the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install freshplayerplugin

This will install pepper flash(google chrome's flash player) to firefox.
Chrome or Chromium Browser's use the same plug-in(pepperflash-non-free)
And just one other thing worth a mention some add-ons in firefox will block flash.
Kind Regards