PDA

View Full Version : FInding a role which has both Enterprise development and Java.

akshay-sulakhe
February 25th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Hi,

I really don't know what the title of my thread should be, but I tried... Thought maybe you guys can help out. I currently work as a Java developer in a startup company, but as we are very less people, I also take care of other stuff like Linux system administration, database, security, etc.

Since a long time, I have been using Linux( > 7 years), and been programming for the same amount of time. Both non-professionally, just doing some stuff on my own, but professionally since 20 months. I was always more interested in Linux administration as compared to programming, but no-one would hire a fresh masters person and give them keys to their production server. I am good in Java, so I thought, why not start with Enterprise Java development(Spring,Maven,etc) and then later move on to Linux system administration.

I am an Indian, but currently in Germany, but I intend to move back to Pune, India in 2 months. Now, there are many jobs for Linux administration available, but somehow I find them inadequate. I am looking for something, where I would be able to apply my knowledge of Enterprise application development in Java as well as Linux. But I don't know what kind of role or job does that offer. Or does this whole thing sounds weird? I don't know. I thought maybe some of you guys maybe able to give me some clear perspective. Thank you. I hope what I said was not too confusing, if it is, then I am only confused, cant help.. :D

user1397
February 25th, 2016, 04:03 PM
I am very interested in replies to your post as well, since I am about to graduate in Computer Information Systems and I'm still split on whether I should follow a programming route or a linux sysadmin route.

akshay-sulakhe
February 25th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I was at the same position as you, the time was different though, companies wouldn't care less what stuff I did online. So I didn't got any admin jobs. Now, times have changed, so you atleast have a choice. I hope this thread helps you as well. Good luck.

user1397
February 25th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the positive vibes! :)