PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why would you NOT bother to upgrade to 14.04 from 12.04?

Bobby_James
February 22nd, 2016, 02:14 PM
I have been using 12.04 LTS for some time now. Is there any point upgrading to 14.04.4 LTS?

I ask because I've just learned that a program I want to install (Openshot) only has a PPA for 14.04. Using the tarball has installation errors and I would prefer to download this (and any other programs) via PPA if possible.

Are there any disadvantages to upgrading (other than the time taken to do so)?

sudodus
February 22nd, 2016, 02:28 PM
14.04.1 LTS and 14.04.4 will work well in most computers, but some computers might have problems with a driver for some particular piece of hardware, for example a driver for your graphics or wifi chip/card.

Therefore it is a good idea to try live before deciding to upgrade to the new version.

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389)

Edit: On the other hand, there is an old but working version of Openshot in the repositories of 12.04. I have used it.

grahammechanical
February 22nd, 2016, 03:01 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 reaches end of life in April 2017. There is no immediate reason to upgrade. But, I think there is enough reason to think about upgrading either to 14.04 which will be supported for 2 more years beyond April 2017. Or, upgrading by a fresh install to 16.04 and then get a full 5 years support. Yes, I would say that it is time to plan for the future.

There is nothing to stop us from dual booting 14.04 & 16.04 and then seeing if we can set things up the way we like before we actually upgrade. I always use the latest version of Ubuntu but I would not upgrade my only installation of Ubuntu without first trying it out in a dual boot situation.

Regards.