PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu shoud sieze the opportunity now to educate users worldwide on the Ubuntu OS

rob161
February 22nd, 2016, 01:06 PM
With the latest release of Windows 10 being forced on everyone, and I do mean forced, Ubuntu has a once in a lifetime unique opportunity to change the world, really. Educate users worldwide on the benefits and attributes of Ubuntu. Start with the younger generation and college students. The Business and Banking communities have already caught on. Besides the fact the it is free, doesn't have any bugs, doesn't cost to upgrade,secure (just ask the FBI, their still trying to figure it out), and so much more. No other company in the world could say this. Sometimes enough is enough.

matt_symes
February 22nd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Hi

Ubuntu definitely has bugs :)

Kind regards

grahammechanical
February 22nd, 2016, 03:47 PM
I would have more respect for your opinions if you were a long standing member of this forum who had put in hours of support to Ubuntu users.

I see you as some kind of activist who is out to stir up trouble. If you are not, then please tell us of your efforts in setting an example of educating the world about Ubuntu.

(just ask the FBI, their still trying to figure it out)

Surely that is some other computer operating system that you are thinking of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03j5jf5

Regards.

yoshii
February 22nd, 2016, 08:06 PM
rob doesn't seem like a troublemaker to me. relax graham.
and yes, all operating systems do have some bugs. i agree with matt, but it's not excessively buggy. and probably some flavors and programs of ubuntu are more buggy than others. for example, in the recent release notes about wine, winehq admits that the 64-bit version is buggier so far.

rob, i agree with you. it is a unique opportunity in time to make ubuntu more well known as an alternative. some people still don't even know what linux is.
probably if ubuntu were a commercial business product the opportunity would be seized. but since it's freeware and involvement is with volunteers, it's not as competitive.

user1397
February 23rd, 2016, 12:19 AM
First off I think it's great that you seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for this subject rob. A lot of people in the world couldn't care less about their operating system, and obviously in the grand scheme of things it's definitely not the most important subject in the world (disaster relief, wars, enery, economic/political issues, etc). But still, it is an important issue nonetheless and is even more appropriate that we talk about such things in an ubuntu linux forum!

So having said that, I do agree with you for the most part. Like others have mentioned, ubuntu and linux in general definitely does have its share of bugs. No OS is perfect. Some people have great experiences with ubuntu and virtually no bugs, and some have such huge issues like their wifi card not being recognized that they erase it and go back to windows. I'd like to think that ubuntu has largely gotten rid of so many bugs and wacky ways of troubleshooting that most users will be fine with it.

As far as windows 10, it is not being forced on anyone. You have to either buy a new computer with windows 10 installed, or you have to explicitly ask windows 7/8 to upgrade to windows 10. It won't just automatically upgrade without any warning or choice.

Also, some businesses and organizations have switched to ubuntu and linux and have reaped the benefits. I'm sure there are a million cases out there where ubuntu would work a lot better than windows does. Still, it's not a silver bullet and it doesn't work in all cases.

Ubuntu doesn't have the money or the manpower to try to "educate the world" on the benefits of its distro. I'm sure ubuntu has gained the most just through word of mouth, and of course through word of mouth on social media. So maybe we can't put all the weight on Canonical, but the passionate users such as yourself can become part of the ubuntu community and try to spread the word a bit more aggressively.

Not sure what you meant by the FBI thing.

Regards.

goofprog
February 23rd, 2016, 12:38 AM
Honestly, I would not. I would just promote the System 76 laptops they have. The FBI don't care about any Linux. Those are probably politicians or special interest groups that pose as Feds. I mean why would the FBI care about Linux being used on a network? Might as well install Windows Sever on a laptop and run that too.

user1397
February 23rd, 2016, 12:44 AM
System76 is a private company not affiliated with canonical or ubuntu. They just happen to use ubuntu as their OS of choice for their PCs. I personally like the idea of system76, but because I'm always broke, I usually choose a really cheap laptop and just slap ubuntu on it.

And not sure if you're joking about the FBI statements. Like I said in my last post, I don't really know what the OP was talking about in the first place as far as the FBI part. But for you to ask why would the FBI care about Linux being used on a network seems naive. I'm sure the FBI is using linux at least for some servers if not for some desktops as well. They gotta cover everything not just Windows and OS X.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 23rd, 2016, 01:40 AM
I don't agree with most of what rob161 posted. ;)

With the latest release of Windows 10 being forced on everyone, and I do mean forced...It hasn't been forced on me. I have to approve the upgrade. If they forced the upgrade they would be violating the agreement for supporting Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 for x number of years.

The Business and Banking communities have already caught on. Besides the fact the it is free...What have the Business and Banking communities caught on to? From personal experience, I found that Banks and Businesses usually buy the Canonical support contract which is not free. That is how Canonical makes money.

doesn't have any bugs...Then why do I get security updates almost every week?

secure (just ask the FBI, their still trying to figure it out)...The FBI and NSA can read the source code; so, I think they have probably figured it out. If you ask them they probably wouldn't give you an answer.

No other company in the world could say this. Canonical's Ubuntu Linux isn't the only company supported Linux distro as there are Rad Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Enterprise Linux.