PDA

View Full Version : why can I see a font but not use it?

anotherChris
February 20th, 2016, 05:11 AM
This is not exactly a support question... I just want to understand why something works...

If I open a .docx file in LibreOffice that was written in Times New Roman and an MS kanji font, LibreOffice can display these documents even when the fonts are not installed on my computer. It's just that if I try to manipulate the document by typing in it, I can't insert anything new in these fonts. I want to know why.

I'm guessing that a .docx file contains information similar to a PDF that tells a word processor how to display the fonts even though they aren't installed in the word processor. So when LibreOffice shows me a .docx file in Times New Roman and has "Times New Roman" listed in the font drop-down menu in italics, it's been told by the .docx document how to display and what the name of the font is, but LibreOffice doesn't really "know" how to display Times New Roman even though it appears to be telling me that's what it's doing.

is this correct?

The other possibility is that Times New Roman is actually bundled with LibreOffice but somehow disabled for writing until ttf-mscore is installed, which "unlocks" the font via the license agreement. But I suspect this is not correct.

Can anyone explain this quickly in non-technical language? Thanks.

vasa1
February 20th, 2016, 07:17 AM
I don't know much about fonts and I don't have to deal with sending docs to others but I came across this which may be somewhat interesting to you: https://larjona.wordpress.com/2014/05/21/some-experiences-and-todo-about-fonts/

Bucky Ball
February 20th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

This is not exactly a support question...

You're also not exactly New to Ubuntu and that area is a support area. ;)

anotherChris
February 20th, 2016, 11:16 AM
You're also not exactly New to Ubuntu

Eh? I am so new to Ubuntu. Without the forums, I could barely turn on the power...

Bucky Ball
February 20th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Eh? I am so new to Ubuntu. Without the forums, I could barely turn on the power...

Righto. Either way, this is the place for non-tech support stuff (along with Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat). :)

bapoumba
February 20th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Two things :
- Fonts can be embedded in the document when it is saved (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/290952 & LO : File > Properties > Fonts), so someone else opening it can edit using the particular font is was created with. This leads to a heavier file, of course.
- On ubuntu, you can install ubuntu-restricted-extras (or the variation for your flavor : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats) so that your LO can use the Microsoft fonts.

SeijiSensei
February 20th, 2016, 05:47 PM
It's also possible that the document shows Times New Roman in the box, but it is actually being displayed with a similar font in your set like the default Liberation Serif.

anotherChris
February 20th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Two things :
- Fonts can be embedded in the document when it is saved (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/290952 & LO : File > Properties > Fonts), so someone else opening it can edit using the particular font is was created with. This leads to a heavier file, of course.

That's cool. Maybe I should go back to using Microsoft... just kidding!

It's also possible that the document shows Times New Roman in the box, but it is actually being displayed with a similar font in your set like the default Liberation Serif.

You know what? I'm embarassed to say it, but that appears to be the case. I've just a few moments ago gotten the MS fonts installed correctly and now that LibreOffice has Times New Roman in it, the documents are being displayed differently. If I highlight everything and switch back and forth between Times New Roman and Liberation Serif, you can see quite clearly that they're different...

So, previously, Times New Roman was displayed in italics as the font name, but the font was actually being replaced by another in the document. When I was trying to insert text in that situation, however, the text that was being inserted looked different. So that's a different thing for me to understand, but I'm tired and need to go to bed.