PDA

View Full Version : How did you switch to linux?

zircon_34
February 17th, 2016, 03:33 AM
I know I know, this might seem like the typical thread. Well instead of writing a huge novel about your switch, I would be interested to know a) what was the tipping point that made you switch? b) How do you see the world differently after your switch?

My "short" story:

I came from windows, through Mac OSX and finally switched to Linux last September. I have been playing around with linux for about 10 years, tried dual boots, VM, but one day just decided to buy a laptop dedicated to linux and actually try to solve everything (or almost) including work related problems using open source software. I actually started to use Libre office to write papers and give presentations switch my email client to thunderbird, etc... There were some up and downs. However, I have to say, it is possible to use linux in most situation, stay persistent, even in the hostile world of incompatibility between windows and OSx format using people (e.g. docx and eps format).

Now I see the world much differently. I see how other people are often locked in proprietary software, and I feel more freedom. I learned how to use inkscape instead of adobe illustrator. I love my desktop (gnome and cinnamon) and the freedom of choice, which doesn’t exist in other OS. Life is just better with linux ;) and more bumpy sometimes...

drascus
February 17th, 2016, 03:54 AM
it took me a little searching but here is literally the video where I learned about linux and took my plunge : http://www.zdnet.com/article/try-a-free-operating-system/

montag dp
February 17th, 2016, 05:08 AM
I had to use it for grad school (starting in 2011). After a few months I decided I liked it better than Windows and installed it on my laptop. I've been dual booting since then, but really nowadays I only keep Windows around for compiling some cross-platform software that I put out.

Linux is just so much better. There are no viruses or antivirus software to worry about, it's libre-er, and, in my experience, it's much faster. The downsides are hardware and software support, both of which are mostly due to market share and not a fault of the OS. They are both also getting much better, IMO.

coldraven
February 17th, 2016, 09:22 AM
I bought my first PC in 1988 and have used MSDOS, Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98 SE and lastly Win XP. When Vista was released I switched to Linux.
I switched after reading Peter Gutmann's "A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection" which he summarised as follows:

"The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute the longest suicide note in history".

The Windows DRM system is continually checking to see if you are doing anything it thinks is illegal. Basically it is spying on you.
It's a long read but worth it if you want the freedom to use your PC as you see fit.

https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Nuno_Abreu
February 17th, 2016, 03:12 PM
I switched to Linux when I was searching for alternative software to Microsoft - at first, I used the alternative on Microsoft's OS and then I realized these programs were mostly made for the Linux environmnent... And that's how I got to it. My first distro was Ubuntu and now I'm into Arch Linux - it has been around 3 years now.

What really captivated me to it was the ability of messing around with the system however I want it, choosing the right programs without forcing me to use their software (that happens a lot on Android too, unfortunately) and for the great support and community in general.
I thought I knew a lot about computing when I was in Windows, now I just regret saying that again... I just realized I'm not that of a computer geek no more because there is a lot to learn from this world. And suddenly I got interested in many things I never thought I'd get my hands on, simply because it allows me to be a member of it - I just feel that the people who joined this "journey" are very important.

I hope that summarizes my feelings and thoughts.

sabina2
February 17th, 2016, 07:11 PM
I thought I got my XP infected so, instead of finding a new cracked Windows, I've been told to try Linux. It was just before 14.04 was released, so my first Linux was Precise Pangolin. Nice name, by the way ! :D

I've always had problems to understand how works Windows, even to simply install a new application. I thought I was just not computer-friendly, lol. Then I found Linux really easier to understand and I stayed with Ubuntu. Today, I would never go back to Windows. I would eventually try PC-BSD or a security oriented distribution such as Hardened Gentoo. I have Windows 7 in dual boot, just in case... but, actually, I do not use it. Linux helped me to have a better understanding of computers and Internet.

sammiev
February 17th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Reading the title of the thread "How did you switch to linux?"

I installed the ISO to a CD and tried it, never looked back since. :P

1clue
February 17th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Mac OS System 7 came out. I had installed the pre-release and it was terrible, started looking for alternatives. Installed mkLinux dual-boot, it was buggy. System 7 came out production and wasn't much better than the pre-release.

I switched over to Intel PC hardware on my next computer build. I was fortunate enough to work at IBM, used OS/2 and rs6000 as desktop units until they finally came out with 'bluehat' (their internal Redhat-based distro) and got Lotus Notes to work on it. Notes was the required email reader.

Dragonbite
February 17th, 2016, 09:13 PM
I outlined it in this article in opensource.com https://opensource.com/life/16/1/my-linux-story-Drew-Kwashnak

Irihapeti
February 17th, 2016, 09:25 PM
I tend to be drawn to things that are a bit different and non-mainstream. Therefore, when I heard about Ubuntu, I was curious.

Once I'd installed it (dual boot) it was then a case of "let's see what I can make this baby do". By and large, it's done all I need it to, and then some.

user1397
February 18th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I was introduced to linux by a friend of mine back in 2006, he showed me an ubuntu 5.10 breezy badger live cd and I was blown away at the concept that all of this was free and made available to all for free. I then installed it myself to the desktop that I shared with my brother at the time, wiped windows accidentally (he got a bit mad!) and went from there. I couldn't get enough, I was constantly on these forums and on wikis and reading about linux and ubuntu all the time.

After a while, this initial excitement toned down a bit, but I always remain generally excited at any linux news.

Since then for the past 10 years I've used linux on and off as my main OS. I've had long periods where I was exclusively using ubuntu for months or even years, and then I switch back to windows because of some annoying bug or because I want to play some windows-only game. At least now I don't really care about games anymore so that isn't really a reason for me anymore (I do like going back and playing some older games for nostalgia reasons :)) But I also get annoyed with windows eventually so I always tend to go back to using ubuntu (specifically kubuntu nowadays).

I've gotta say I still prefer the linux way of doing things than the windows way of doing things, and since I cannot fathom coughing up $1000 for a mac when I can do everything I need to do with a $350 computer, I don't see myself exploring OS X much anytime soon.

I could go on about my linux story but this is already becoming a tl;dr post :)

poorguy
February 18th, 2016, 08:18 PM
I was looking for an alternative to windows as I wasn't liking the direction that it seems to be going.
I was reading about Ubuntu and did some research and then created a bootable dvd and have been using Ubuntu 14.04 and its derivatives for over a year.
The migration from Windows to Linux has been an educational experience as I have learned a lot of things about Linux and the freedom open source software gives.

mcgess
February 18th, 2016, 09:09 PM
I was happy with my XP desktop. Eventually I got a laptop which had Vista. The data transfer program which was supposed to help copy all my files from the old to new computer didn't work so I had to resort to burning a load of cds and do it myself. Then I went to import all my old emails into outlook, nothing, it failed to find the files automagically so I pointed it to the files and outlook said "what files - there aren't any".
I spoke to my brother and he suggested Thunderbird, I installed TB, immediately on starting TB it announce you have lookout email files do you want to import them. Brilliant.
Thanked my brother for the suggestion, he said try Ubuntu. I did and I haven't looked back.

deadflowr
February 18th, 2016, 09:30 PM
I want to say "Lost a bet"

But in reality, someone gave me their old pc to recycle and I eventually installed Ubuntu on it.

yoshii
February 18th, 2016, 10:36 PM
a) Part one of the tipping point for me was realising that my Linux LiveCD's always ran even though sometimes my Windows install wouldn't and even the Windows boot CD failed!--but the Linuxes kept running just fine. My Windows installs kept corrupting themselves. Part two of the tipping point from me was getting attacked by a nasty Windows adware trojan that auto-installed a huge cluster of programs and kept downloading more. Also, I didn't want to spend 100 dollars just to sidegrade to Windows XP, especially since it was no longer supported.

b) The revelation was that for most procedures (emailing and browsing the internet and word processing) Linux was less frustrating and fun to customize. Also, I needed to be able to run my Digital Audio Workstation programs which turned out to be OK using Wine. Being able to run the same programs without the hassles meant that I could keep composing music and spend less time worrying about malware and annoying Microsoft policies and default settings. After a while, there was no point in keeping Windows so I threw it out. Since I also buy used computers, Linux was cheaper and friendlier. But now I use a new computer and Ubuntu Studio is working just fine on it. I am still making music and the OS isn't slowing me down. I still use all my musical VST instruments and effects. I will never go back to Windows.

ajgreeny
February 19th, 2016, 12:12 AM
I tried Mandriva, or was it Mandrake at that time, way back in 2003 or 2004, then played around a bit with Fedora Core 4 (I think) and then Ubuntu 5.04 appeared on the horizon.

I downloaded it and tried it on an old desktop machine that was running WinXP so slowly as to be almost useless.
Magic!

It ran so much better than XP, seemed to make sense in the way it worked, and it did not terrify me that I could not use the "normal" windows applications as I had not been using them in XP; I had found and used Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP and a few others along with some other older versions of some Windows applications that appeared on magazine CDs and could be used free of cost.

I was never a computer geek though I did enjoy configuring XP as much as was possible, and I was amazed at the way I could change just about anything I wanted to in a Linux OS.

It now does everything I need with one exception; I have to run a VirtualBox installation of WinXP to update my satnav GPS device. It drives me mad when I have to boot to XP as it is so slow in comparison with my Xubuntu 14.04, or even the VBox install of Ubuntu 14.04.

I am now, incidentally, lost when I have to use Windows as nothing comes automatically to me, unlike in Xubuntu which I use nowadays almost as if on autopilot, ie without too much thought about what I am doing.

whitshade
February 19th, 2016, 12:23 AM
In Fall 1997, I was taking a computer class, "Intro to Current Operating Systems" and we looked at four (then) current operating systems: Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux/UNIX and Novell Netware. Our instructor had purchased a book on Linux that came with the installation CDs for the current distro of Red Hat. We installed it on four computers, networked them and added a printer. He instilled in us (or me anyway) a great appreciation for Linux, especially when compared to its proprietary counterpart (Windows NT). It was capable of doing everything NT could do, but without the absurdly heavy price tag. I was hooked. It wouldn't be until 2002 that I acquired a PC compatible with Linux, but my enthusiasm remained strong in spite of numerous failed attempts to install it on my Compaq Presario.

AqD
February 19th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Some years ago I was attempting to learn more advanced programming and bought C++Builder with every penny I saved, then realized it's crap as there is little assembly support for game programming, garbage-grade documents, and all extra libraries must be bought by more money which I didn't have. Then I found a Linux book with CD attached - corel linux or something very old, long dead by now.

:D

welshmike
February 23rd, 2016, 10:27 PM
Why? Essentially Linux Ubuntu distros never slow down and are very much less vulnerable to acquiring malware than Windows.

I've had a career at IBM as a systems software R&D professional. So I was brought up on big iron software.
During my time as a software system tester I used IBM PCs running PC DOS to automate the testing of big iron software.

Over time at home I had bought various PCs and had kept up with Windows releases 3.1, 95, 98 up to XP.
IIRC with XP that's when troubles started with the increase in viruses / malware that Windows systems were vulnerable to despite anti-virus and other measures.
I acquired a reputation for cleaning up the Windows systems of friends, neighbours and associates including virus removal and restoring Windows performance. (I still have one call to see to an associates' slow running W7 system later this week).
Even my carefully managed XP system slowed down over time and occasionally I needed to restore its performance.

In the early 2000's I was asked to create a custom WCMS and found a friendly and efficient non Microsoft server side solution using LAMP. It was an Eureka moment in discovering free software and helpful free support via forums. That led to my interest in FOSS.

How? In 2007 I had become aware from a friend of the Linux Fedora distro. At that time I was fed up with Windows XP performance not least because of the overhead of a necessary anti-virus guard.
In 2008 I decided to try out quite a few virtual Linux distros installed on Virtual box on XP. Some of the distros were Fedora, Linux Mint, DSL, openSuse, and Ubuntu (8.04 LTS).
I found out about WUBI , installed it and easily was able to change the Gnome desktop environment to make it look like XP. I then installed dual boot XP/Ubuntu on my wife's laptop and also on my laptop.

I became aware of the ability to have a separate /home partition and set up Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with that so that I could install future releases without having to worry about having to back up and restore /home from release to release.

My principle has been to only install LTS releases of Ubuntu. When the next LTS release, 12.04, became available it came as default with the Unity desktop. I tried it dual boot 10.04 / 12.04 and did not enjoy the Unity experience finding it was taking me time to use effectively and its performance was slower that Gnome and less stable.
When I upgraded to the final version of 12.04 (12.04.5) I had adjusted to the Unity interface and the version also ran faster with no problems that affected my installation. So I changed my PC to have just 12.04.5 as its Linux distro.
I'm have now happily been running 14.04 initially on my laptop bought new in 2010 and now on my Zenbook bought last year.

Crimple
February 23rd, 2016, 11:36 PM
I thought I got my XP infected so, instead of finding a new cracked Windows...
Good for you that there's no need to crack Linux :-|

Wadim_Korneev
February 24th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Linux is love. Linux is life.

Funnily enough, this also how I learned. Years ago, I applied for a job that required I be proficient in the Linux command line. I'd never properly used Linux before but I applied anyway. Installed a copy of Debian and, over the course of the week, learned all the basics from scratch.

Since then, I've never looked back. Linux is now my main OS; I only boot into Windows for gaming and Adobe stuff.

Linuxratty
February 25th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Well,what happened was XP decided to make it's screen resolution really big and I could not fix it.
The only way to do it,was to call and ask permission from Microsoft to reinstall it yet again. I did not want to do that.
I'd been following the Linspire/Microsoft battle on line and ordered the disk..I tried it and after three days,I was so into it I'd never
gone back into Windows..So i decided to install it.
It worked fine and the screen resolution was normal..Twelve years later,I'm still using Linux distros.

SantaFe
February 25th, 2016, 06:53 PM
In my case, I usually dual booted Windows & Ubuntu. Till the one day Windows decided to crawl up into a ball and refuse to play anymore. So I did a full install of Ubuntu 8.04 and never looked back. Always went the upgrade route & never had to do a full install till 15.04. There went the streak! ;)

Swagman
February 26th, 2016, 10:46 PM
I'm the one who bought an AmigaONE XE !!

Os4 wasn't available back then and it shipped with Debian Woody PPC and the rest...As they say..

Is History !!

zach45
February 27th, 2016, 01:51 PM
I recently switched a few weeks ago. The reason, simple. I didn't want to deal with an other bad version of windows.

bjje
February 29th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Right after I first tried Windows Vista.
Many thanks to all devs and community.):P

Cavsfan
February 29th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Didn't really switch to linux, just dual booted and then multi-booted my system.

Vista was bad but I've been on Windows 10 after upgrading from Windows 7.

I've had as many as 7 or 8 OSs on this box at the same time. And I bought this in 2009.
Replaced the HD and some fans but nothing major.

1 windows partition and the rest variations of Linux systems: Ubunt, Mint, Debian, etc.

Right now all I have is Arch Linux, Ubuntu Xenial Xerus 16.04 and Windows 10.

I could do away with windows if I wanted to.
But, I feel like I need windows to help my friends/family if they need it. Plus my wife only knows Windows at present.

But, I spend as few minutes on Windows as humanly possible :p

My custom grub screen:

http://en.zimagez.com/miniature/20160229163727.jpg (http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/20160229163727.php)

Cecil
March 1st, 2016, 12:30 AM
I've used Linux on-and-off over the years, first time I did it was out of curiosity. Now I use Linux as my main OS after all the privacy concerns over Windows 10. Combined with how hard Microsoft is trying to get people to upgrade (Seriously Microsoft? "Upgrade Now" or "Upgrade Tonight" on the Windows update screen? REALLY?!), and I do not trust them one bit. Now, the only place Windows has on my machine is a win7 VM. You couldn't pay me to install Windows to bare metal at this point.

ja-leesa
March 4th, 2016, 05:01 PM
A lot of interesting posts here.

a) Tipping point for me was wanting to learn a Linux operating system in order to make me more hireable to employers. A ploy that worked -- the place I work at now hired me largely because I am comfortable using the Linux terminal and operating systems. I don't think I would've gotten the job otherwise.

b) I first experimented with Ubuntu in mid 2014, dual-booting my Windows 7 netbook with the Ubuntu OS that was out at the time. I mostly dual-booted until I started working at my place of employment. Though my personal laptop is Windows 10 (thanks to Origin not working on Linux machines, mostly) my work laptop runs Ubuntu. Our entire IT department (with one exception) runs Ubuntu as well, not to mention nearly all of our servers running Ubuntu since my boss prefers this distro over all the others. With my work laptop, I love the feeling of complete control and customization that I have running Ubuntu. Everything is set up exactly the way that I like it, and it's a feeling you really don't get with a Windows computer in my opinion, no matter how much you tweak it.

Great thread!

shantiq
March 5th, 2016, 10:59 AM
hmmmm summer of 09
had got increasingly pi..ed off with Wind-draws as it has so many viruses AND for me the main thing perhaps the flimsy looking graphic side of that OS the thin graphics and appallingly thin fonts/writing on most programs .... and there was no way in Christendom that i would subscribe to Mr Jobs's carceral OS altho yes they do have the best hardware by far...
So in July 09 I burned a disc with Jaunty and wiped out Wind-draws forever and thank Señor Shuttleworth daily ... maybe I should set up as shrine ...
Better graphics no need for antivirus software ... that was always a pain to check all the time

Ideal will be a Mac box with Ubuntu on it .... best hardware best OS ... i have a Macbook next door as a backup with 10.06 Mac and 14.04 Ubuntu dual ... i would like the translucent Mac from a few years back with latest Ubuntu LTS release ... there Technoperfection

ChuangTzu
March 7th, 2016, 02:23 AM
Was a long time Windows user starting with 3.0 or an old 2.8 cant remember. Became increasingly ticked with the ever increasing problem of viruses/malware etc...also the design method of design obsolescence. Was talking to my brother who works fairly high up in computers with US Gov. and he told me that most of their computers (at the time) ran Ubuntu (around 8.04) or other Linux distros (but mainly Ubuntu LTS or RedHat/CentOS). Have tried almost all of the major distros over the years, mainly use Ubuntu, Slackware/Salix and FreeBSD now.

yonnie
March 8th, 2016, 09:09 PM
I use ubuntu and several variations of ubuntu because it seems to work better with wine presenting minimal trouble with making window apps operate vs other distributions of Linux. So most of my office systems use Kubuntu. My personal favorite is PCLOS as it's a rolling distribution. I started out in the 70's using Unix and very early versions of emacs and primitive versions of Xerox office on the Altos. Built my first pc (Big-Board, sold by Byte magazine) in around '82, built an XT PC with 2 floppy drives and DOS 2, around '84, built and AT around '86, started using windows around version 3 and DOS . Used minix for machine control since the early '80s. Used HP Unix, Solaris and BSD System V at work and loved it. Got introduced to Linux via a student around '93 and again via an acquaintance who worked at Palo Alto Software who handed me a RedHat disk a couple years later. I didn't actually get a version that worked until a vendor handed me a box from 'Storm Linux' in the Fry's parking lot. Windows is nothing but a johnny come lately copier of Unix, and a lousy one at that.
I defenestrated windows after having several major disasters with the software that cost me a fortune. One was when a vendor held me up for upgrades to thousands of dollars worth of specialized software that refused to work on w98 and some other software that wouldn't work on w95. Another issue with virus scanners and the final straw was when the av scanners wouldn't catch and clean up viruses for the lost count time resulting in the loss of vital records. That was when w2000 was in use.

I tried Fedora dual boot for a few weeks, found I had no real need to use windows for anything in the office so out the window the windows went. That was a long time ago. Since then I have played with about every distribution of Linux, too many to list. I've found there is very little difference between the main Linux distributions in what apps they offer, they are all great. And the difficulty with updates via rpm or deb packages are now easy, there is no excuse to not use Linux.

Now that w10 has come out, I can see no reason for windows users to not migrate to Linux as the latest windows is now complete junk-ware. W10 is the best advertisement for switching to Linux or Apple ever produced.

Eva_Bouwman
March 8th, 2016, 09:41 PM
I know I know, this might seem like the typical thread. Well instead of writing a huge novel about your switch, I would be interested to know a) what was the tipping point that made you switch? b) How do you see the world differently after your switch?

My "short" story:

I came from windows, through Mac OSX and finally switched to Linux last September. I have been playing around with linux for about 10 years, tried dual boots, VM, but one day just decided to buy a laptop dedicated to linux and actually try to solve everything (or almost) including work related problems using open source software. I actually started to use Libre office to write papers and give presentations switch my email client to thunderbird, etc... There were some up and downs. However, I have to say, it is possible to use linux in most situation, stay persistent, even in the hostile world of incompatibility between windows and OSx format using people (e.g. docx and eps format).

Now I see the world much differently. I see how other people are often locked in proprietary software, and I feel more freedom. I learned how to use inkscape instead of adobe illustrator. I love my desktop (gnome and cinnamon) and the freedom of choice, which doesn’t exist in other OS. Life is just better with linux ;) and more bumpy sometimes...

I was very disappointed in microsoft, had my paper to finish and windows didnt work. I really wish i had switched earlier in life ;-). I enjoy the vision behind linux, the shared responsibility by a motivated community because you can choose to do so and choose to get involved. I really love to solve "the bumps on the road". It feels like anything can be solved I like that very much and stimulates me to search, learn and wanting to participate. *blush*

I also love my desktop never imagined, I could create it to enjoy watching it. I like fantasy kind of drawings, found some real nice onces, right now I am trying to match my windows with the backgrounds, and have lots of fun doing so and trying.

I must say it is nice to read how other people have more or less the same experience.

yonnie
March 8th, 2016, 11:17 PM
Viruses, incompatibility of proprietary software between versions, expense of proprietary upgrades, loss of almost everything. All good reasons to defenestrate windows. The only reason windows now has free stuff is because of Linux and the FOSS community. With the advances of Linux, there is nothing you can't do anymore. As long as there is pressure placed upon vendors and manufacturers to support Linux, Linux will do well. Please remember to send money to your favorite Linux distro. Support your distro.

tim144
March 9th, 2016, 01:43 AM
Been doing computers all my life (started with a C64 when I was a wee lad), and when in about 2007, I offered to fix a very messed-up Windows XP computer. The owner ended up buying a new computer, but after he committed to purchase, I did a re-install XP, and it worked fine. (I think I had to buy a new license.) It was working so bad before the re-install, that I initially decided that it was a hardware fault. I was a so demoralized by the whole "fixing computers" thing after that reality, I decided to give up on computers.

In the process of things, I called to memory an installation effort I made with Red Hat Linux back in 1998 on my personal computer. It was a failed attempt, as my machine at the time was made out of late (but cheap) hardware, and RHL wasn't usable for someone coming from Windows. I might as well give it another shot with nothing to lose! I called a friend who was in IT and asked point blank, "Which distro should I try?" The answer came, "Debian".

Windows never felt powerful, when you came fresh from a C64 in the early 1990's... the memories of power under the hood rushed back with my new Debian 4.0 install!

I installed Debian in 2007. Used a mix of Ubuntu and Debian since, and never, ever looked back.

uRock
March 12th, 2016, 05:10 AM
Back in 2008 I had seen an article hinting that MS was going to drop support for Windows XP, so I did some Googling and stumbled on Debian. I ordered the Debian DVD set and tried to get it up and running. I beat my head on the desk, had a few violent outbursts on their forums, then found Ubuntu.

Once I installed Ubuntu, I was in a new world where everything was different. 8.04 was my first working install and Jaunty Jackalope was my first install of a "new release". It was beautiful. Then Karmic Koala came out and I was even more happy.

Nowadays I only use Windows at work. I don't have anything against Microsoft, I just prefer Ubuntu for the desktop and Kali Linux for "gaming".

squirrel3
March 12th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Well,

I was always a Windows geek from the get go. As a matter of fact I still use Windows because a lot of apps I own are Windows-based. However I discovered Linux quite a few years back, maybe 7 years ago I think it was. I had heard about it through friends. Then after reading up on it, I download an ISO. My first one was 10.10 I think. Well, fast forward, now I'm using Ubuntu Studio because I'm a musician and love recording. It's actually installed along my Windows 7 OS. It's fantastic, I'm totally turned on to the Linux world. The best part is that it is all open source. Of course you have your apps which one can buy, however I think it's all good.

Regards

mr-daniel-lemke
March 15th, 2016, 01:05 AM
I have used Windows for several years as a child/teenager (from Win 95 - Win 7), but I had toyed around with Linux as well starting with Red Hat 9. This would be off and on with different distributions, until I finally made the complete switch when Windows 8 came out. I have been running Debian/Ubuntu based machines ever since. I don't play games much anymore, and if I do I am content with the games available on Ubuntu. If I am on my PC, I usually spend that time working on one thing or another and it is my experience working in the terminal that really helped keep me on Linux. I love the power that it affords and I would not trade it for command prompt (which usually needs additional software in order to resemble the Linux CLI in terms of usability).

branau
March 15th, 2016, 05:26 PM
I had used both Windows and Mac pretty much my whole life up until about a year ago when I started learning how to program. Pretty much everything I saw pointed to Mac and Linux being the only options for decent development and since I didn't have money for a Mac, I went with Linux. After about 6 months of using Linux, I finally had the money for a macbook and bought one, used it for about 2 months and then went back to Linux. Initially I dual booted but after a while I got tired of it and just installed Windows in a virtual box for the rare occasion that I need Photoshop. I've tried several different distros and flavours of Ubuntu but I always end up back with Xubuntu

47knucklehead
March 16th, 2016, 05:25 AM
This thread is probably as good as any to make my first post in Linux Land. I'm fresh from Win 10 not working on a pair of computers! Both were upgrades from Win 7 with one being a new build and the older one a build from 2011. The older one I can understand what happened since the initial install on that computer got me all the way to 2016 - 5 years on an original install isn't too bad. I cloned the original drive onto an SSD which sped it up. Too much garbage collected and things got sluggish. Seems funny that all my computer problems started with the 'upgrade' to W10. I was getting adware almost daily after the 'upgrade'. Forums are as close as I get to social media - I DO NOT do facebook twitter etc. Keeping up with the adware removal tool and anti-virus scans and removing bogus entries in the system register got to be more time consuming than the time I spent on the computer for shopping and general forum talk. I'm too old to waste time fixing a broken operating system. Something had to give.

My other interests are stereo and multichannel audio gear & old VWs - I have a 71 Karmann Ghia I love to tinker with. I've added three times the original hp on the motor and installed air conditioning so I can drive it in summer. It gets very hot here in summer. I live in zip code 98823 - high desert. I've been building computers since the early 90's when DOS was just beginning to fade. I used to change out my computers every 6 months - or less. Friends and family were the beneficiaries.

I've had this install of Ubuntu 15.10 up and running on the newest computer for a few days now - a fresh install in a dual boot config - Win 7 Home Premium freshly installed on its own partition. It'll never get the W10 'upgrade' - and very little use methinks! No good reason to go back to windows but its there if I want - plus I had a 3 pack installers disk that wasn't getting used. I build computers for friends and family so I generally would buy 3 pack install disks when they are on sale. I have 2 installs left but I don't know that they will ever get used. Same situation with a few win 95 disks that I finally tossed.

My first experience with Linux was a Red Hat distro back in the 90's. I think it was 5 but don't recall for sure. I probably still have the original disk. I wasn't too impressed with it - I had problems getting hardware configured - audio and graphics cards IIRC - that drove me back to windows. I've been using FireFox and Thunderbird almost from their inception so migrating was fairly easy once I figured out what format to ship the info over on one of my thumb drives. I'm not too savy on Terminal yet but I'm learning. Its nice to see that most (all?) of the plugins for FireFox work just fine on Linux.

My background is partly in computers. I have a couple of AS degrees - one in sociology and one in computer science. Nice mix eh? I worked in IT for 3 years after college as a programmer - mostly in COBOL with a little RPG thrown in. I'm not a detail oriented person so I decided to make a career change. I went to work for the Boeing Co where I retired from in 2003 as an inspector. A detailed type job but not to the extent that programming is.

At any rate I'm getting more comfortable with Ubuntu each day. I had 14.04 loaded on my new computer about 2 weeks ago - I got an update notice last week that 15.10 was available and would I like to upgrade. I did and it didn't do anything after the upgrade - blank screen - no hard drive activity for over an hour - tried to reboot and got the same - so I burnt a 15.05 ISO and wiped the drive clean and started over. Using a rescue disk the name of which eludes me ATM didn't work. So I decided that I would buy a new SSD - got a 480GB Kingston Digital drive - installed W7 on it then 15.10 with dual boot. Just like so many years ago with Red Hat I can see the W7 partition from Ubuntu but W7 is oblivious to Ubuntu partition.

Well - that is the short version of how I got to Linux. It works very well so far - I can't see me reverting back to Windows. I'm just a bit gun-shy lately when it comes to upgrading. W10 wasn't any fun - and neither was my first upgrade experience with Ubuntu. Maybe the next one will be smoother. I'll wait for the next LTS version.

I don't have anything negative to say about Microsoft but I'm having a hard time finding something good to say. They are what they are and the world is changing - they have to change and adapt or fade away. Their W10 is all about apps & I'm just not an 'app' kind of guy. The direction they are taking may be better for their bottom line but it does nothing for me. I like control of my own computer and it seems like Linux is an excellent way to do just that. W10 may be the buggiest operating system they have ever produced. I guess the price was right - didn't cost me anything to find out what W10 was about. The experience I had with W8 (not 8.1) should have set off the warning bells - it didn't. What a joke! What is a phone operating system doing on my computer?!? I just did what I do with any crappy operating system - reformat and start over. Hmm. I think my older computer will get an install of Linux too. Any suggestions on which one might be good to try? It has a 6 core AMD CPU with 8GB of ram and a 240GB Intel SSD 530 hard drive so I think it can handle just about anything.

allformsofpandas
March 16th, 2016, 11:03 AM
It was a long and tedious process. For about six years I kept moving between Windows and Linux. Mainly because, at the time (around 2007-2012) producing a variety of different multimedia such as music, art, video, animation etc.. was a huge pain in the ass with Linux (and it still is, sometimes). However the main thing that kept me wanting to use Linux over others, and the biggest reason why I use only Linux these days; is the ideology. I personally think that computer should be an extension for your mind and open as a platform for everybody to improve and use. Not something mystical that is behind corporations and businessmen.

Sure, many times life with Windows or OSX would have been easier but i can't stand the ideology and stiffness of change in them. But, I'm glad Linux is working way better and stabler each year and these days, it's almost a bliss to use. :D

frank75
March 17th, 2016, 01:13 AM
Ok, I'll play. I got my first computer in 1998, it had Windows '98 on it(of course,LOL) and I learned to totally HATE Windows because of that operating system. I'd have to reinstall it about once every 6 months just to keep things running smoothly and in 2001 I finally gave up and bought an iMac(you know, the ones that looked like a half ball and a lamp combo) and it ran like a top for 11 years, not a hitch of a problem. Until one day we got a very bad thunderstorm and while I had the computer plugged into a surge protector I didn't have the DSL line plugged into one and so a very close bolt of lighting "killed" my iMac.
I did some research and ended up getting an HP Windows 8 laptop which I had for one week before I took it back for a full refund. My wife picked up a Trojan Horse virus(probably from Facebook) and it totally borked the system. That was the final straw that put the final nail in the Windows coffin for me, NO MORE WINDOWS, Period!
I took the money that we got back from the Win8 laptop and bought two used HP laptops, installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS on em' and I've not looked back. That was in April of 2004 and I've gone though my fair share of Distros but they've all been Linux and I'll always fun Linux from here on out. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. LOL

him610
March 17th, 2016, 04:18 AM
Added: Wanted to learn Unix. Linux wasn't Unix, but it was close enough.

Back around 1994, I tried a Linux CD that came with a book, "Slackware Linux" or something similiar. The system I had at the time just did not have the horsepower to adequately run Linux. I kept going back and trying Linux - Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse from time to time. It wasn't until I heard about Ubuntu 5.10, Breezy Badger and tried it that I finally thought to myself, "This one's a keeper."

Soon afterwards I purchased from Newegg, a Shuttle barebones and all of the components to assemble a complete system with the intention of installing Ubuntu on it. The Shuttle has been updated over the years with 14.04 installed on it now, and recently has been upgraded with a 250GB SSD; I use it several times each week.

Since that first Shuttle build, I have assembled five other machines which all have some Linux distro. I also salvaged two cranky Vista laptops that now run smoothly and glitchfree with Ubuntu now.

yonnie
March 18th, 2016, 10:22 PM
The key is making a bootable floppy, CD/DVD disk, usb stick, and using it to boot with. That is how you do it! Make the switch that is. Nowadays we have Google where you can find out how to do almost anything. (not sure if you can even buy a box of floppies anymore, I still have some 8" ones):D

iamjiwjr
March 19th, 2016, 08:24 AM
My wife complained endlessly with Windows. She complained none with Linux. As any husband knows, that's an instant tipping point.

The_Cysko_Kid
March 21st, 2016, 01:51 AM
I tried Linux (specifically KDE) way back when around 2003 and found that I was not quite ready to make that jump at that time. Since then I've dabbled with it quite a bit but I made the jump to being a full time user around 2010 when I had a spectacular computer crash and then rather than buy a new copy of windows or attempt to pirate it, I just decided I'd double down and use Ubuntu and I've been using it, or, you know, Ubuntu-derivatives ever since.

Dedamraz
March 22nd, 2016, 07:20 AM
Actually it was pretty simple; I got a job offer.
At first it was quite annoying due to a lot of typing in terminal etc, but it kinda grows on you.

yetimon_64
March 22nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
MS announced their pricing policy for upgrades from Vista to win7. I was shocked and horrified at the price being asked here in Australia compared to the US and started googling "free operating systems"; found Ubuntu and later on Debian, haven't looked back since.

... and Kali Linux for "gaming". That plus your current avatar cracks me up ... :lol: ... one bad bad man. As haqking's sig line reads ...
"Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013"
Cheers uRock. Yeti.

RobGoss
March 22nd, 2016, 07:14 PM
I've been interested in Linux for years when I first started with computers 16 or so years ago. I had a Windows machine running Xp, well someone introduced me to Fedora core 3 or something like that, but it was not user friendly.

So I left it alone for a while until Ubuntu and Mint hit the scene. I now run 5 machines which one has Windows 10, One with Mint, and three with Ubuntu.

I only use windows to make comparison to other operating systems. I don't dual boot anyone more because I'm leaning more towards Linux because it ROCKS. And the team behind development including these forums

My next move will be to buy a new desktop, wipe it clean and install only Ubuntu as my main computer.

I really enjoy Linux and the learning process is just amazing because all of you make it so easy to learn offering your help when ever you can.

A big thanks to everyone

montag dp
March 22nd, 2016, 08:15 PM
I took the money that we got back from the Win8 laptop and bought two used HP laptops, installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS on em' and I've not looked back. That was in April of 2004 and I've gone though my fair share of Distros but they've all been Linux and I'll always fun Linux from here on out. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. LOLYou installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in April of 2004? :shock:

Dragonbite
March 22nd, 2016, 08:17 PM
My next move will be to buy a new desktop, wipe it clean and install only Ubuntu as my main computer.

Cut out a step, and support the Linux ecosystem by buying it from System76 (http://www.system76.com) or ZaReason (http://www.zareason.com)! Ubuntu (or other distro) comes pre-installed and ready for you. Plus there is no guess about whether the hardware is supported or not.

RobGoss
March 22nd, 2016, 10:33 PM
Cut out a step, and support the Linux ecosystem by buying it from System76 (http://www.system76.com) or ZaReason (http://www.zareason.com)! Ubuntu (or other distro) comes pre-installed and ready for you. Plus there is no guess about whether the hardware is supported or not.

Not a bad idea, here in the US I don't see any Linux machines for sale unless it's on line. I use Windows machines because there kinda cheap. Thanks for the links

SantaFe
March 23rd, 2016, 06:40 PM
You installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in April of 2004? :shock:
Definitive proof that Time Travel exists! :D

michael_diemer
March 30th, 2016, 09:13 PM
I first tried Ubuntu 13.10, then went on to Mint. Eventually tried Zorin and really liked it, but have been switching around between the three. I'm back on Ubuntu 14.04 now because after a recent Zorin update my old HP Printer stopped working and I haven't been able to figure out why. I find I really like Unity, even though Cinnamon is visually very attractive. But I think I prefer Unity now. I tried Linux out of curiosity, and boredom with Windows, and the attraction of a free and open OS. At first I tried to really learn it deeply, using tutorials. I always got overwhelmed and bored. So my approach now is to learn as I go. When I have a problem, I try to solve it. As I do so, I gradually learn more. But I'm not a geek and never will be one, although my wife thinks I am. I am hoping to someday be able to create music on Linux. I know you can do so now, but musicians are very partial to their workflow, and there as nothing usable on Linux that works for me. But hopefully there will be. In fact I'm confident that there will be.

light_yagami2
April 6th, 2016, 12:01 AM
I finally switched to linux/ubuntu after the new windows update policy. I don't want ms to tell me what updates will be installed and what time they will be. That should be the users choice.

RobGoss
April 6th, 2016, 12:03 AM
Congrats on making the switch Linux is a great choice wish I switched years ago.

QIII
April 6th, 2016, 12:11 AM
I haven't switched yet.

xubu2
April 7th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Switched to linux in september 2013 out of curiosity from windows 7.

First ubuntu & xubuntu for 1 month then Manjaro for 8 months then antergos for 1 month then 4 months arch.

Guess what, i'm back at xubuntu.
Got tired of the constant breakage in arch.
Xubuntu 14.04 hasn't let me down :)

npxi
April 8th, 2016, 01:08 PM
At the time's around 2006 using it first time did not take me into it. To have a platform for studying did eventually turn me more and more into it.
:)

kek3
April 25th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Since 3 years, I've been using linux for educational purposes, tired of searching for cracks of programms I can't afford being a simple student. Open source rules :D But I still can't let my "only supported on windows" videogames, I think I'm still a kid :lolflag:

dFlyer
May 7th, 2016, 02:20 AM
I went from Apple in 88 to windows 3.1 in 91 to IBM OS2 all the while dabbing in Linux when my son in law introduced me to Red Hat some time around 95 from a magazine. I've tried or use Red Hat, SuSE, openSuSE, Mandrake, Debian, Slackware, Caldera, and in 2006 tried and stayed with Ubuntu.