PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Language problem in apps (all in squares)

Share_The_Pain
February 12th, 2016, 01:25 AM
Hello people, i already tryed to check all the settings about language definitions but still the apps like vlc and spotify appear all in squares.

Im using xubuntu 14.04.3 LTS and my default language is portuguese.

Kind regards

slickymaster
February 12th, 2016, 01:28 AM
What exactly do you mean by "... appear all in squares"? Can you provide us a screenshot?

Share_The_Pain
February 12th, 2016, 01:37 AM
http://s11.postimg.org/5kyin7p4j/Screenshot_12_02_2016_00_34_17.jpg

slickymaster
February 12th, 2016, 01:57 AM
Are you facing that problem only with those two applications? I'm asking it because both use QT GUIs, not GTK+

Share_The_Pain
February 12th, 2016, 01:08 PM
HUmm... sorry for the late reply, i just installed xubuntu and yes probably is that. Im gonna have a look if that package is installed. Thank you slickymaster!

Share_The_Pain
February 13th, 2016, 01:28 AM
http://s8.postimg.org/lzwipd5mt/Screenshot_13_02_2016_00_18_44.png

I'm going to change language settings to Inglês to see if it changes the problem with the squares... :/

buzzingrobot
February 13th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I think those squares show up when there's a problem with fonts. That is, the app can't find them, or use them for some reasons. Text in the panel and the window decorations is rendered correctly in your screenshots.

XFCE has one font setting, in the Appearances tool, I think. It's probably set to Sans by default, which on Ubuntu releases maps to Dejavu. (The package is "fonts-dejavu").

There is a tool -- qt4-qtconfig -- that allows setting a font family for QT apps, among other things. It's in the repos.

slickymaster
February 15th, 2016, 10:50 AM
I think those squares show up when there's a problem with fonts. That is, the app can't find them, or use them for some reasons. Text in the panel and the window decorations is rendered correctly in your screenshots.

XFCE has one font setting, in the Appearances tool, I think. It's probably set to Sans by default, which on Ubuntu releases maps to Dejavu. (The package is "fonts-dejavu").

There is a tool -- qt4-qtconfig -- that allows setting a font family for QT apps, among other things. It's in the repos.

+1

Default font in Xubuntu is Droid Sans.