PDA

View Full Version : I'm amazed

vasa1
February 8th, 2016, 07:07 AM
I'm amazed at the patience and tolerance people here show. I don't know how you people manage that but it's much appreciated!

Vladlenin5000
February 8th, 2016, 07:18 AM
I agree but everything has limits ;-)

vasa1
February 8th, 2016, 07:54 AM
I agree but everything has limits ;-)My limits are easily crossed which is why I admire those who persist even though the person being helped is less than "helpful".

Nuno_Abreu
February 8th, 2016, 04:24 PM
I agree but everything has limits ;-)
What limits?

Habitual
February 8th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Since I don't need another infraction, I can only say that users are "challenging".
I avoid 'em whenever I can.

poorguy
February 8th, 2016, 07:05 PM
I'm amazed at the patience and tolerance people here show. I don't know how you people manage that but it's much appreciated!

It is amazing as I know i have POed a few folks on this forum and have on other forums and I haven't been banned yet.
So yes very tolerant folks that run things around here.
So Thanks for putting up with us who can be irritating (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irritating) sometimes.

Bashing-om
February 8th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Well ...

Speaking only for myself . I do recall the bafflement I experienced with my first PC - even though I had a good background in mainframes and component systems.
It is always with me "what can I learn" as I progress on my own learning curve that is never ending . In high appreciation to those who have gone before me and to whom I owe for their instruction, I do pass it on. Remaining open to continued instruction.

It is this sharing that makes open source the great thing that it is . The willingness to share where there are no secrets !

I love it

I wish the same for you

QDR06VV9
February 8th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Well ...

Speaking only for myself . I do recall the bafflement I experienced with my first PC - even though I had a good background in mainframes and component systems.
It is always with me "what can I learn" as I progress on my own learning curve that is never ending . In high appreciation to those who have gone before me and to whom I owe for their instruction, I do pass it on. Remaining open to continued instruction.

It is this sharing that makes open source the great thing that it is . The willingness to share where there are no secrets !

I love it

I wish the same for you

@Bashing-om You Sir do it as good as anyone I have seen on the forums front..I tip my hat to you..and matt
Cheers

sammiev
February 8th, 2016, 08:15 PM
There is just too many people to thank and I would like to thank them all!

QDR06VV9
February 8th, 2016, 08:19 PM
There is just too many people to thank and I would like to thank them all!
+1 I should have mentioned them also..but that is a very long list.:D

mastablasta
February 9th, 2016, 10:55 AM
seriously this is nothing.

when you try to help or do something for someone who can't speak propperly and all the do is yell and cry out of frustration as you do not understand them.... then it can get tough. and it take patience (a lot of guessing and troubleshooting). but there is no other choice if you are their parent. anyway that is much much harder. and i admire my wife - staying at home and taking that all day, then still being able to smile and be patient when i get home.

mikodo
February 9th, 2016, 11:26 PM
ditto vasa1

I cut my computing teeth on this forum. I've played with other distros a bit and their forums, and it's this forum's culture and its' people's demeanor here, that endear it to me. From my experience, there is no equal.

Oh, like all of us, I often miss frequent posters when I see them not here anymore. I used to worry about the forum's future when I saw this happening. But, over the last 7 years, there always seems to be new people who step in and take their places (to degrees). So, it appears a heritage was established, that draws like minded people here and the cycle is perpetuated. We should guard this jealously. It's not a common commodity in these parts.

SuperTrainStationH
February 10th, 2016, 01:27 AM
Well I sure know what, I appreciate you guys. Trying to be as meek and careful as possible with my first post and I was still paranoid I was gonna get chewed out. Thanks yall!

QDR06VV9
February 10th, 2016, 01:41 AM
ditto vasa1

I cut my computing teeth on this forum. I've played with other distros a bit and their forums, and it's this forum's culture and its' people's demeanor here, that endear it to me. From my experience, there is no equal.

Oh, like all of us, I often miss frequent posters when I see them not here anymore. I used to worry about the forum's future when I saw this happening. But, over the last 7 years, there always seems to be new people who step in and take their places (to degrees). So, it appears a heritage was established, that draws like minded people here and the cycle is perpetuated. We should guard this jealously. It's not a common commodity in these parts.
Very well worded :D

Well I sure know what, I appreciate you guys. Trying to be as meek and careful as possible with my first post and I was still paranoid I was gonna get chewed out. Thanks yall!
We do not use "yall" here in the forums please use proper verbage...I am so just joking here:D..and Welcome to Ubuntu forums.
Kick your feet up and stay a bit.
Seriously Welcome and enjoy your stay!):P
Kind Regards

SuperTrainStationH
February 10th, 2016, 01:44 AM
Very well worded :D

We do not use "yall" here in the forums please use proper verbage...I am so just joking here:D..and Welcome to Ubuntu forums.
Kick your feet up and stay a bit.
Seriously Welcome and enjoy your stay!):P
Kind Regards

Oh gosh you legitimately scared me for a moment. :P

QDR06VV9
February 10th, 2016, 02:03 AM
Oh gosh you legitimately scared me for a moment. :P

Sorry i have a different sense of humour...but it looks like you are getting on just fine here.
And nice to Meet You.
Cheers

vasa1
February 10th, 2016, 05:42 AM
What limits?
When my limits are crossed, I wish the poster all the best and get out of that thread and avoid posting in other threads started by that person.

Limits are obviously different for different people, which I why I wanted to record my appreciation for those here who politely keep on helping people no matter what.

But you may be interested in the views expressed here: http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/19665/the-help-vampire-problem

MartyBuntu
February 10th, 2016, 01:03 PM
When my limits are crossed, I wish the poster all the best and get out of that thread and avoid posting in other threads started by that person.

You gotta know when to hold 'em...know when to fold 'em.

vasa1
February 10th, 2016, 01:18 PM
You gotta know when to hold 'em...know when to fold 'em.
& Know when to walk away, know when to run ... ;)

grahammechanical
February 10th, 2016, 04:09 PM
"your the reason I am travelling on. But don't think twice its all right."

Now, look what you have got me doing. Quoting Johnny Cash.

howefield
February 10th, 2016, 08:27 PM
A few posts removed and would hate to spoil an otherwise good thread by closing it.

Let's not spoil the party by picking on individuals. :)

Nuno_Abreu
February 11th, 2016, 02:51 PM

Limits are obviously different for different people, which I why I wanted to record my appreciation for those here who politely keep on helping people no matter what.

But you may be interested in the views expressed here: http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/19665/the-help-vampire-problem

Good point - I wasn't referring to those limits because similar problems can have multiple solutions and most of the points made in that thread are not so consistent - anyway, I know some people abuse (they multiply the same threads to different topics, making the system less democratic) and some just don't know how to search for a proper answer (or they're just afraid of applying solutions to similar problems).

And then there are languages abuses that can lead to the OP's/answerers' expel - and gladly those limits should be imposed firmly.

Vladlenin5000
February 11th, 2016, 10:16 PM
How would you characterize a language abuse?
Do you agree with what just happened a day or so before your last post?

BTW, you name sounds quite familiar. Are you Portuguese?

Nuno_Abreu
February 12th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Language abuse is subjective, because this forum is multicultural and most of us can't know whether it's sarcasm or just pure disrespect.

If you're referring to the sense of humour of some humour here, I'm ok with it - but what are you talking about, exactly?

Yes, I am. I can see you're from Galiza! Glad to see someone from the Iberian Peninsula! Well, you're only a step away from Portugal, not too far away. And if you like the sir on your picture (Hitchens), you're the man!

mikodo
February 13th, 2016, 05:01 AM
Obviously, I misinterpreted the purpose of this thread.

QIII
February 13th, 2016, 05:05 AM
Since this thread has taken a couple of turns for subtle nose-thumbing of the Forum Rules for what seems like sport, ruining what might otherwise have been a nice conversation and causing several posts to be deleted, it is now closed.

Thanks all.