PDA

View Full Version : PClinuxOS Talk (Includes DistroWatch ranking talk)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

AdamWill
March 22nd, 2008, 12:29 AM
Brian: to go beyond what Perpetual says: PCLOS doesn't provide support for a stable release, they essentially don't have stable releases. So it's not really an equivalent situation. A permanently rolling distro like PCLOS is what some people want - they want the latest software all the time. But it's not the same as an Ubuntu LTS release. In an Ubuntu LTS release, packages don't just get updated to new versions for the heck of it: it's a *stable* release which gets security updates and major bug fixes for a long period. Packages are updated only to fix particular types of problems. This increases the stability and 'predictability' of the system (you know it will do tomorrow pretty much the same as what it does today, which is very valuable to *other* people, and not what a permanently rolling distribution does at all).

Istonian
March 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
Just to let you peoples know. Ubuntu is back on top of the distrowatch rankings. Not a big deal, but im bored.

Perpetual
March 22nd, 2008, 03:35 AM
Brian: to go beyond what Perpetual says: PCLOS doesn't provide support for a stable release, they essentially don't have stable releases. So it's not really an equivalent situation. A permanently rolling distro like PCLOS is what some people want - they want the latest software all the time. But it's not the same as an Ubuntu LTS release. In an Ubuntu LTS release, packages don't just get updated to new versions for the heck of it: it's a *stable* release which gets security updates and major bug fixes for a long period. Packages are updated only to fix particular types of problems. This increases the stability and 'predictability' of the system (you know it will do tomorrow pretty much the same as what it does today, which is very valuable to *other* people, and not what a permanently rolling distribution does at all).

Good points!

hhhhhx
March 22nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
hehe, i was just looking at that lol

Kingsley
March 22nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
Beta just came out, so that's to be expected.

kevdog
March 22nd, 2008, 03:43 AM
Distrowatch is full of CR*P anyways --- do you really believe the rankings?? All it measures is page hits on their site among the different distributions. If this in any way is correlative to the actual number of people downloading and trying a specific distro, I would like to know!

FuturePilot
March 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
Distrowatch is full of CR*P anyways --- do you really believe the rankings?? All it measures is page hits on their site among the different distributions. If this in any way is correlative to the actual number of people downloading and trying a specific distro, I would like to know!

I don't. I really wouldn't care if Ubuntu was off the list, it wouldn't stop me from using it. I use Ubuntu because it works, not because it's the most popular.

tbroderick
March 22nd, 2008, 04:53 AM
Distrowatch is full of CR*P anyways --- do you really believe the rankings?? All it measures is page hits on their site among the different distributions.

Hence the "Page Hit Ranking" title. That's all the 'rankings' have ever claimed to be.

K.Mandla
March 22nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Moved to the combined PCLinuxOS and DistroWatch talk thread.

Brian96
March 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the additional clarification. Now that I understand the difference, I'm not really sure what category I fall into. I think I'm somewhere in between.

For many of the applications I use--Thunderbird, Firefox, OO.o--I do want the latest stable version (and I don't want to have to compile from source to get it). But I don't necessarily want the latest drivers, kernel, or other "behind the scenes" stuff, unless it greatly enhances functionality. On the other hand, although I haven't even been using Ubuntu for a full year yet, I'm a little tired of a complete upgrade every 6 months (although my interest in this comes and goes).

I may give the newer PCLOS Gnome version a try. I got turned off of PCLOS because some random program that I use wasn't in the repos, and that made me wonder what ELSE wasn't in their repos. But maybe a rolling release is more up my alley.

angryfirelord
March 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the additional clarification. Now that I understand the difference, I'm not really sure what category I fall into. I think I'm somewhere in between.

For many of the applications I use--Thunderbird, Firefox, OO.o--I do want the latest stable version (and I don't want to have to compile from source to get it). But I don't necessarily want the latest drivers, kernel, or other "behind the scenes" stuff, unless it greatly enhances functionality. On the other hand, although I haven't even been using Ubuntu for a full year yet, I'm a little tired of a complete upgrade every 6 months (although my interest in this comes and goes).

I may give the newer PCLOS Gnome version a try. I got turned off of PCLOS because some random program that I use wasn't in the repos, and that made me wonder what ELSE wasn't in their repos. But maybe a rolling release is more up my alley.
In that case, you may want to go with Debian and upgrade to its Testing branch. It's not as easy to manage (no control center), but you should be able to keep an install and simply dist-upgrade for a few years and you'll learn something about how Debian works (which in turn shows how Ubuntu works). Not that I'm saying PCLOS is bad, but Debian has a far more rigorous testing method for its packages.

AdamWill
March 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
kingsley: no, Ubuntu would have overtaken PCLOS today regardless, if you look at the trends of the numbers over the last few weeks. If you look on the shorter timeframes (a month or a week), Ubuntu is way higher.

Brian96: it sounds, indeed, like you want something in the middle. I suspect you'd be best off with a stable distribution that is very easily upgradeable and has available repositories (whether third party or official) to provide the newer packages you want right away. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, such a thing doesn't quite exist. :) Both Ubuntu and Mandriva (and, I believe, OpenSUSE, though I'm less familiar with that) are distros that work on the stable release system and have repositories available where you could get updated versions of specific applications, as you want. However, if I'm being honest, neither is guaranteed to give you a smooth ride when upgrading to the next version; from what I've seen, a minority, but a significant minority, of users who try to upgrade from one Ubuntu release to the next or one Mandriva release to the next have problems. Again I'm less familiar with OpenSUSE, but I believe the situation is similar there (it's extremely, extremely hard to build a 'stable release' distribution and guarantee that upgrades will be trouble-free). So whichever way you go you're going to wind up with a compromise. Perhaps you might actually be best off running Debian sid or testing.

cardinals_fan
March 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM

Zenwalk might be for you. It has the latest non-essential apps, while keeping a conservative machine 'under the hood'.

LinuxGuy1234
November 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I am getting so excited for PCLinuxOS 2009. I'm just looking forwards towards it :D .

Antman
November 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM
well, I guess we all need something to be excited about. I hope you don't have to wait much longer.

Twitch6000
November 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ahhh yes the distro I find to be the most secretive >.>.

I also find it to be the most uhmmm not user friendly,but distro hopper friendly :D.

Really I can't wait for the Final. I tried the beta it was ok I needed to tweak some things to get my wireless working though :(.

Istonian
November 28th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I liked PCLOS 2007 when it first came out, but found myself switching back to Ubuntu. Tried the beta and didn't like it

gabhla
November 28th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Used to be a big fan of PCLOS, but got tired of waiting and waiting and waiting. Found many alternatives as good, or better.

exploder
November 28th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Texstar will not release the final until it's ready. I have great respect and admiration for texstar because of how and why he does things. PCLinux 2007 has been around and extremely popular because it is a rolling release and because of the quality of the work that is put into the distribution.

I am a gnome user myself but I do appreciate quality regardless of the desktop environment that is used. I wish more developer's would strive for the same high quality standards texstar has. I will certainly be looking at PCLinux 2009 when the final release arrives. Some things are worth waiting for.

damis648
November 28th, 2008, 02:07 AM
texstar will not release the final until it's ready. I have great respect and admiration for texstar because of how and why he does things. Pclinux 2007 has been around and extremely popular because it is a rolling release and because of the quality of the work that is put into the distribution.

I am a gnome user myself but i do appreciate quality regardless of the desktop environment that is used. I wish more developer's would strive for the same high quality standards texstar has. I will certainly be looking at pclinux 2009 when the final release arrives. Some things are worth waiting for.

+1

damis648
November 28th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Ahhh yes the distro I find to be the most secretive >.>.

Hm... not a bad point. There is something secretive about it isn't there?

Twitch6000
November 28th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Hm... not a bad point. There is something secretive about it isn't there?

Indeed go on their site and such you don't get much news on it.

Only news you get is mainly beta or release news.

Other then that.... you just gotta wait and see.

Hallvor
November 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I am getting so excited for PCLinuxOS 2009. I'm just looking forwards towards it :D .

I`ll keep on running PCLinuxOS 2007 until my computer falls apart - it is a rolling relase, so everything gets updated anyway. Can`t wait for the repository freeze to end, though - next week, month or year... Looking forward to KDE 3.5.10.

LinuxGuy1234
November 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I`ll keep on running PCLinuxOS 2007 until my computer falls apart - it is a rolling relase, so everything gets updated anyway. Can`t wait for the repository freeze to end, though - next week, month or year... Looking forward to KDE 3.5.10.

KDE 3.5.10's in the beta.

steveneddy
November 28th, 2008, 01:37 PM
My daughter uses PC Linux OS - maybe it's time to get her an upgrade.

I'll bet that she'll appreciate that.

Hallvor
November 28th, 2008, 02:29 PM
KDE 3.5.10's in the beta.

Yes, I noticed it was in "testing", but I can wait. :)

snakevet
November 29th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I am getting really pumped about it too. I made the switch to PCLinux from Suse 10.2 and I have not regretted it. I just recently made the switch from Kubuntu to PCLinux on several of my computers because it is so much more user friendly and easier to configure, especially for people that are making the switch from Windows.

I am personally glad that KDE 3 is the standard for the next version, KDE 4 is just not ready. My experience with Intrepid Ibex was not enjoyable at all thanks to KDE 4.

I agree that PCLinux does seem to be a bit secretive, but I have not found a more problem free and more user friendly Linux distribution out there. I just wish they would come out with a 64 bit version, so you could take advantage of the full power of you computer. If they did I might make the switch on the rest of my computers from the 'buntus.

Twitch6000
November 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I am getting really pumped about it too. I made the switch to PCLinux from Suse 10.2 and I have not regretted it. I just recently made the switch from Kubuntu to PCLinux on several of my computers because it is so much more user friendly and easier to configure, especially for people that are making the switch from Windows.

I am personally glad that KDE 3 is the standard for the next version, KDE 4 is just not ready. My experience with Intrepid Ibex was not enjoyable at all thanks to KDE 4.

I agree that PCLinux does seem to be a bit secretive, but I have not found a more problem free and more user friendly Linux distribution out there. I just wish they would come out with a 64 bit version, so you could take advantage of the full power of you computer. If they did I might make the switch on the rest of my computers from the 'buntus.

I agree on the 64 bit thing :(. If they had a 64 bit version I would switch my current laptop to PClinuxOS 2009 beta :(.

K.Mandla
December 1st, 2008, 12:45 AM