PDA

View Full Version : [Ubuntu 15.10] Install/Boot freeze

austin47
February 2nd, 2016, 10:16 PM
I've been trying to install some, any, consumer version of linux for months now. My first choice was Ubuntu, then to fedora, then OpenSUSE, then to Arch. No linux distribution would install to my system except for Arch via CD in Legacy mode using GPT and then switching to UEFI after I finished the installation.

My hope is to just get Ubuntu installed and move on with life. My issue is that whatever I do, Ubuntu installer either does not load, freezes on the splash/loading screen, or freezes at some point during the account/locality selection process but never making it to the actual install process.

I've used 4 flash drives, 3 different USB installers(LiveUSB & Yumi from pendrivelinux, Rufus), bricked 3 of those drives and an SSD, and UEFI won't let me boot from DVD to install Ubuntu.

Can anybody provide some insight on why Ubuntu 15.10 or 14.4 are constantly freezing on both Legacy and UEFI motherboard settings? Why did Arch install with no issues?

My PC specs are as follows: Intel i7 5820K, Corsair 4x4GB DDR4 2666Mhz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, Mushkin 480GB SSD, Seagate 1TB HDD, 2x WD 320GB HDD, CM Glacer 240l AIO Watercooler

Additional info: Windows 10 installed to the SSD; 1TB drive used for windows media like games, movies, music and pictures. Ubuntu target is one of the 320GB drives which are older but still function fine. Current USB drive I'm attempting to use is a brand new Samsung 64gb USB 3.0 drive. Considering trying a UNetBootin image write but I'd rather wait for some advice before I brick yet again another USB drive.

I'd love to provide you with some type of error logging or messages but it's constantly freezing seconds after selecting Try ubuntu or Install ubuntu.

I'd love to get this installed. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

austin47
February 3rd, 2016, 12:10 AM
After going over a similar post I had made in the past, I stumbled upon the issue.

For whatever reason, overclocking my processor or RAM is causing the installer to freeze. After returning my settings for both CPU and RAM speeds to automatic, the installation went very smoothly. Except for Ubuntu running quite slow on those old drives. Currently reinstalling a second time as a dual boot with my SSD.

If anybody has any insight as to why none of my installation media seem to work while having an overclocked processor, I'd love to hear it in order to provide educated responses to people in the future who may have a similar issue.