PDA

View Full Version : Is Mozilla Dropping Thunderbird?

courseinmiracles2
February 2nd, 2016, 08:05 AM
Just a quick question... Is mozilla planning to drop thunderbird?
If so, do we know when? AND whats going to take it's place?

Thoughts

P.S. Just the facts, please.

QIII
February 2nd, 2016, 08:13 AM
Thunderbird is not dead, nor is it dying.

People have been confused by the Chair's statement that Mozilla would stop developing Thunderbird in 2012. That's four years ago now.

Thunderbird's development has been taken over by the community -- but it is still a Mozilla project and it is still very much alive.

This (https://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2015/12/03/thunderbird-update/) might be an interesting read for you.

KenSharp
February 2nd, 2016, 10:45 AM
Aside: Google are dropping 32-bit Chrome support. :(

courseinmiracles2
February 2nd, 2016, 10:55 AM
Perfect, Thanks. It sounds like it could actually be more beneficial to do it that way.

Bucky Ball
February 2nd, 2016, 11:56 AM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

General Help is for technical support, not discussion and opinion. Please post discussion threads in discussion areas. Thanks. :)

Nuno_Abreu
February 2nd, 2016, 03:29 PM
I hope not. It's a tool I use everyday and have all of my configurations there - actually, I chose it because it is, in my opinion, the most versatible and full-featured e-mail client on Linux. Much better than Outlook if you're not talking about a locally configured e-mail.

night_sky2
February 2nd, 2016, 09:05 PM
Mozilla is looking for some other entity to hand over the reins of the Thunderbird project. Names that have come up so far are The Document Foundation and Pretty Easy Privacy (PEP).

The Mozilla community is currently maintaining Thunderbird with security/bug fixes but it has not been under active development since 2012.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/30/thunderbird-flies-away-from-mozilla/

QIII
February 2nd, 2016, 09:19 PM
Mozilla is looking in to the possibility of spinning it off to someone else for development -- not "dropping" it. I linked the entire text of the statement from the source.

ChuangTzu
February 3rd, 2016, 08:30 PM
You can always look into Seamonkey as well.

Personally I like Claws-Mail and Firefox or Seamonkey.