PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 15.10 theme installation

makinasvp
January 29th, 2016, 05:02 AM
Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this has already been brought up. I have recently successfully installed Ubuntu 15.10 on my Macbook Air, and I was curious to know how I can install new themes onto my Ubuntu.
I have tried and unfortunately I was unsuccessful. Every time I try and I open "Appearance" or the "Unity Tweak Tool", my theme is not on there.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I download my themes from gnome-look.org.
Can somebody please help me, or point me to the right direction? I've also tried looking this up on YouTube but the tutorials I have found were made with older versions of Ubuntu.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

-makinasvp

gabriel72
January 29th, 2016, 02:32 PM
When in the home folder, command+H will show hidden folders, make a folder named ".themes"
Once that folder is made, extract the theme, or themes into that folder.
I'm trying to get some screenshots for you, but the school's wifi isn't really letting me.
[EDIT]
Some thoughts are catching up to me now this morning. AFAIK themes for ubuntu are supposed to be GT3k. Or something of that nature.

makinasvp
January 29th, 2016, 07:31 PM
When in the home folder, command+H will show hidden folders, make a folder named ".themes"
Once that folder is made, extract the theme, or themes into that folder.
I'm trying to get some screenshots for you, but the school's wifi isn't really letting me.
[EDIT]
Some thoughts are catching up to me now this morning. AFAIK themes for ubuntu are supposed to be GT3k. Or something of that nature.

I did just that... go into Home folder, press control+H and the hidden folders showed, then I made a folder named ".themes"
I then extracted my themes onto that folder, but once I've opened Appearance or Unity Tweak Tool, the themes still didn't show...
Am I supposed to do something else once I have extracted the themes onto .themes folder?

Frogs Hair
January 31st, 2016, 08:16 PM
Third party themes will only appear in the unity tweak or the gnome tweak tool and also make sure you are using compatible themes . Themes for gnome 3.14 or 3.16 should work in 15.10. Be sure the themes are fully extracted, some theme packages include more than one color variation and if not removed from the master folder into .themes won't appear the the tweak tool. GTK 2 or old GTK 3 themes will not work in 15.10.