PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Properly disabling auto-mount in Ubuntu 14.04

DigiAngel
January 28th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Try as I might I am just unable to disable USB devices from automounting. Things I've done:

Checked "Never prompt or start programs on media insertion" in Removable Media settings

Set all to "Do nothing" in Removable Media settings

Added an entry to /etc/fstab as shown:

/dev/sde1 /media/usb6 auto ro,users,noauto,noexec 0 0
but after inserting the USB drive I see:

/dev/sde1 on /media/usb6 type vfat (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

Gone to org.gnome.desktop.media-handling in dconf-editor and unchecked automount

Created the file /etc/udev/rules.d/85-no-automount.rules that contains 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{UDISKS_AUTO}="0"' and rebooted.

Nothing works. As soon as I plug in a USB device Ubuntu automounts it happily. How can I once and for all stop Ubuntu from automounting? Thank you.

mc4man
January 28th, 2016, 06:27 PM
What file manager & session are you using? Setting org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount false works just fine here in an ubuntu session with nautilus

DigiAngel
January 28th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Just the stock Nautilus...it's pretty crazy.

deadflowr
January 28th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Is it opening a nautilus window or adding a launcher to the launcher bar, or it is simply listed in nautilus in the side panel?

When you set it not mount/automount, it'll still show up in the file manager, but without the mounted eject symbol.

DigiAngel
January 28th, 2016, 07:15 PM
It's not launching, just mounting with the eject symbol in the side panel. Thank you.