PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Installation of 14.04.3: No Mouse Cursor, Slow Graphics ...

Kixtosh
January 25th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Hello!

It was time for me to upgrade from Lucid Lynx, so I installed 14.04.3 on a Live USB drive, and it worked so well that I actually used it like that for a few months to see if I could get used to Unity instead of Gnome. I don't love Unity, but it has some advantages, so now I'm ready to install it on the main HDD, but, when after I did so:

There is now no mouse cursor at all and the touchpad does not work (either the pad or the L/R click buttons).
There is no mouse cursor if I plug in a regular USB mouse.
Bluetooth is not detected (I was using a Bluetooth mouse from the LiveUSB trial version).
There doesn't appear to be any WiFi either.
Everything is excruciatingly slow in comparison to Lucid Lynx on the HDD, or Trusty Tahr on the Live USB. For example, when just starting a search from Dash, the search box and windows appear as if they were in slow motion.

I actually noticed during boot that the mouse cursor seems to flash for about one second on a blank (black) screen after the Ubuntu startup splash screen disappears, and before the desktop is shown.

This is a Toshiba Portégé R500 with permanent SDD.

I can't imagine this is that difficult to solve, if everything worked when using the Live USB installation. I don't mind using Terminal commands, and I can get to keyboard shortcuts to use those. I just don't really know where to start.

Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
January 28th, 2016, 05:44 AM
I suggest you give up on that and install Lubuntu or Xfce over it.

They are more similar in UI to what you had before, so you'd probably like either of them better even if the Unity system was working fine, which obviously it isn't. It is a lot heavier than Lucid was and it is probably just bogging down your system.

kansasnoob
January 28th, 2016, 05:57 AM
I suggest you give up on that and install Lubuntu or Xfce over it.

They are more similar in UI to what you had before, so you'd probably like either of them better even if the Unity system was working fine, which obviously it isn't. It is a lot heavier than Lucid was and it is probably just bogging down your system.

+1! If these specs (http://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-portege-r500-s500/specs/) are right that's just not powerful enough to run the Unity DE. Another option, since you already have Ubuntu installed, is to convert to the flashback w/metacity DE as I discuss here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2220264

It runs about as light as Lubuntu or Xubuntu and it's similar to the old GNOME 2 DE.

steveo314
February 1st, 2016, 09:25 PM
+2 on trying LXDE,XFCE, or even MATE or Cinnamon.

mastablasta
February 2nd, 2016, 11:31 AM
was the liveUSB persistent? if so try a fresh image. if it worked well in live session it should work the same in installed version.