PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I still upgrade from 14.10?

mental2k
January 24th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Hi,

I realise this is most likely a complete n00b thing to do, but I've had 14.10 on my laptop for a while and only noticed the other day that I could no longer install software with apt-get. I'm guessing this is because 14.10 is no longer supported, which is fair enough. I figured I'd upgrade through a couple of versions and everything would be fine again. The only problem is I can't, because the repos can't be found. I've previously always stuck to LTS releases, but when I got this laptop 14.04 didn't support my mousepad so I had to use 14.10, so this is my first experience with this kind of issue. Is there any way I can still upgrade to a newer version without a clean install? I think I read somewhere there was no offline upgrade option for 15.04. I really hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

howefield
January 24th, 2016, 02:35 PM
You could start reading here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

As always, ensure backup of your important data is considered if not already done and remove any proprietary drivers before upgrading. :)

mental2k
January 24th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Thanks Howefield, I'll give it a whirl!

grahammechanical
January 24th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Just a small point.

Once you have changed the URLs of the software sources to the old-releases repository you should be able to upgrade to Ubuntu 15.04 but keep in mind that 15.04 itself will reach end of life 4th February 2016.

So, when the upgrade has finished and you have tested that everything is working as it should do not take a long time thinking about upgrading to 15.10 otherwise you will have to go through the end of life upgrade method all over again.

Regards

mental2k
January 24th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Thanks, yeah, and I'll probably uprgrade to 16.04 in April as well :) At least I'm getting plenty of practice in ubuntu upgrade procedures :)

mental2k
January 25th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys, worked a treat! :)