PDA

View Full Version : "??? ???" error during installation

frantisek3
January 20th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I apologize in the case it was solved before, but it is problem to search "??? ???" message.

I tried to install Ubuntu 14.04.3 (i followed this instructions (http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05/install-ubuntu-1404-alongside-windows.html), Windows 8.1 were installed correctly), but during the "Where are you?" panel, it throw error message with "??? ???" header and the some body before I can type whatever in the text area. Then it returns me to the "Installation type" panel.
It does not matter whether I use "Install Ubuntu alongside them" or "Something else" in the "Installation type" panel

Motherboard P6X58D-E.

Had someone the same problem? Any idea how to solve it? Or any idea where to find, because the message is really uninformative.

Thank you very much.

grahammechanical
January 20th, 2016, 05:22 PM
My guess is that there is an error at one of the previous pages in the installation process. It might be an option that was not selected or an incompatible selection. The error might be on the page where we choose a user name & password. It think that page comes before the "Where are you" page. I think that the installer is throwing you back to the last correctly complete installation page.

Regards.

frantisek3
January 20th, 2016, 07:14 PM
My guess is that there is an error at one of the previous pages in the installation process. It might be an option that was not selected or an incompatible selection. The error might be on the page where we choose a user name & password. It think that page comes before the "Where are you" page. I think that the installer is throwing you back to the last correctly complete installation page.

Regards.

Hi!

Thank you very much for your reply, but I don't see space for alternative selections in the shorter path:
1] Welcome panel: English -> Continue;
2] Preparing to install Ubuntu: It does not depends on selection of that two checkboxes (Download updates while installing & Install this third-party) -> Continue;
3] Installation type: "Install Ubuntu alongside them" -> Continue;
4] Where are you?: error pop up message.

Who are you? panel is after/ did not appear.

(Of course in the longer path with "Something else" option in the 3rd step there are lot of possibilities for mistake in the following step during creating partitions, but I followed instructions of several tutorials, so I have no idea what to change - one big Ext4 mounted to '/' and one small swap in addition to Windows partitions.)

Edit: Now - once - it did not appear during 'Where are you?' panel, but in the following 'Keyboard layout' panel.